Transition from Sport to Ice

SnowByrd

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but in my opinion climbing rock is much easier that ice climbing, physically. .....training your muscle to repeatedly: swing ice axes overhead, carry extra 10lbs of gear give or take some, climb steep snow slopes to approach climbs, screw and unscrew ice pro, and kicking front points all day long makes the transition from rock to ice much easier.

COming from someone who learned to climb on ice before rock, I beg to differ with the first part of the above statement. I have found ice climbing technically easier, tho equally challenging on a physical level. As I progress in my climbing I do find that a lot of the technique is similar. What seperates those who enjoy ice climbing and those who dont are the conditions and the hazzards involved. You definately have to be more aware of your surroundings in addition to being able to take care of your body and tolerate somewhat extreme conditions (depending on where you are climbing).

In regards to strength, yes it requires quite a bit. In my experience I have found it requires a lot less arm strength than most people lead others to believe. I dont usually put a lot of focus on the difference between men and women when they climb....tonight I will with a short (or long) story...

Last winter was my 3rd season on the ice. I climbed with

A friend of mine who teaches for Chicks with Picks one weekend last year. The first thing she said to me was, "You have been climbing with some strong guys!" It was obvious to her that I used my arms a lot. Not a big deal for most guys because that is where there strength is (generally speaking). Pull ups? No problem! She showed me some techniques that allowed me to use MY strengths as a woman which made all the difference in the world when it came to my endurance/strength on a climb.

Point being, just like on the rock, its not all about strength. Dont let that intimidate you.

In regards to warmth, there are ways for a woman to stay warm. Yes, it is more difficult, but it can be done with some experimenting and research. Again, dont let that intimidate you.

give it a try. Find someone to take you out or hire a guide. See if you can get someone to take you drytooling or doing some mixed stuff. You might find you enjoy that better and can do mixed at least year round.

Best of luck!

wave.gif Hey Fender4 not I am pretty sure all the wife and testicle parts won't work for Snowbyrd.

I just thought it was funny.

I think that so long as the same areas of the body are utilized, results will be pretty similar. As for a wife, a whiny non-climbing boyfriend might work out. I don't know where to find one of those, sorry.

wave.gif Hey Fender4 not I am pretty sure all the wife and testicle parts won't work for Snowbyrd.

I just thought it was funny.

I think that so long as the same areas of the body are utilized, results will be pretty similar. As for a wife, a whiny non-climbing boyfriend might work out. I don't know where to find one of those, sorry.

I've got one I'll donate to the cause laugh.gif Okay, since you opened the door....get THIS! We watched Touching the Void....and he actually FORBADE me to ice climb! Like...YAH...RIGHT... wink.gif

yelrotflmao.gif

having a wife sounds kind of nice - not the testicles though - I bet they just get in the way. Is a sea bass something I could borrow?

where do i sign up for a wife? the bathroom needs cleaning, the laundry is piling up and i just dumped all the gear from the w/e in the middle of the kitchen. someone needs to clean up that mess. can i substitute salmon for sea bass?