Pulley/Caribiner Question

Stavrogin

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fat asses should not neglect the fact that the ultralight has a safe working load of only about 80kg or something

Well that's pretty silly, because with a pack on a glacier, that's a pretty easy weight to reach. By giving a SWL, that seems to imply it would break at a higher value.

Ohh, so if it's an emergency, it becomes stronger. Excellent news! I suppose if it does break, it just drops down on to the carabiner, which is not a catastrophe.

I've always laughed at Petzl's "not for organized rescues" line for some of their pulleys. As long as you are completely disorganized on a rescue, their gear will work fine!

I'm thinking what they mean is that if your regular pulley breaks its better to use the ultralight than use nothing.... just like if you suddenly dropped all your other biners it would be ok to use one of those "not for climbing" keychain biners rather than nothing at all.

Used this combo while on Denali a few years back. When placed under load the pully cracked, snapped, and shattered due to the temperatures. Also damaged the rope sheath. If youre in an emergency just use a DOval Kairbiner, and a tiblock. Safer, Stronger, Lighter, Better.

0.15 grams! Wow. I'll carry three of these anyday laugh.gif

Seriously... I've seen it listed at 61 g which is great (the Mini is 80 g), and it's $10 less than the price of mine ($20 instead of $32). Not bad. Bigger sheave and bigger breaking load (not sure about working load). Not prusik minding but that's fine by most people.

drC

Ohh, so if it's an emergency, it becomes stronger. Excellent news! I suppose if it does break, it just drops down on to the carabiner, which is not a catastrophe.

I've always laughed at Petzl's "not for organized rescues" line for some of their pulleys. As long as you are completely disorganized on a rescue, their gear will work fine!

Of course they must mean SAR rescue. I'm just speculating, but I think they are referring to the situation where a second is sent down to aid the injured climber in the crevasse and the two of them are pulled out together. Obviously, that is a huge load.

I think it's just the usual rear-covering non-speak. If there is a reason to pick up a sub-80kg load in an "organized" rescue, than the thing would work just fine in an "organized" rescue. No one in their right mind would use this silly little thing for hauling a "traditional" 280kg rescue load (BCCTR) when it supposedly barely hauls 1 person (80kg).

0.15 grams! Wow. I'll carry three of these anyday laugh.gif

Seriously... I've seen it listed at 61 g which is great (the Mini is 80 g), and it's $10 less than the price of mine ($20 instead of $32). Not bad. Bigger sheave and bigger breaking load (not sure about working load). Not prusik minding but that's fine by most people.

drC

Yeah they got a little silly with the weights translation to Kg wazzup.gif but anyway here is the Prusik minding pulley