Grip tape for ice tools?

John Frieh

Has anyone added skateboard grip/deck tape (or something comparable) to their leashless ice tools? Particular brand you used (or is it generic)? Any problems with it pealing off over the season? Particular areas of the tool you recommend or don’t recommend applying it too? Anything else? Thanks!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still not sure I get this. I don't think I've ever encountered an ice climb where I'd be happy having no protection on my hands (even if just for abrasion protection) Of course I am not a hard-woman climber like some...

Are we talking waterfall ice here? or indoor/outdoor gym walls for practice?

I've seen a lot of the Ergos taped up that way with grip tape above the handle. Seems like going all the way up to the head would be a good thing. I probably wouldn't add any to the handle as it would only increase the diameter. What tools you using?

Skateboard grip tape has application in the climbing world.

i've added some Jessop skate deck grip tape to my vipers last season when i severly damaged one of the grips. for me it works alot better than the stock grips.

this year i going to add some between the leash attachment and head.

i built a 'crack machine' with a coupla 2x6's, bolts, wingnuts (for on the fly crack width adjustments), then i laced the inside w/ grip tape. killer!

the grip-tape gets my hands ready for tapeless desert and granite cracks.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a Grivel air tech Evo axe. It came with the non skid in two places on the axe, near the spike for better 'traction' if you will... It also came with extra tape if I wanted to add more. The stuff they give you is made by 3M. So you should be able to find it at probably any store.

NolsE,

When i was living in Bozeman Mt my only means of transportation was a longboard.

long story short, the winters are very long and cold there and they don't plow the roads...they just let the snow and ice pack down, so I ended up doing alot of winter riding.

When my griptape on my deck got all snowy it had no stick to it. It would get very slippery infact, and just be coated in snowy/ice.

So now you know. If you do it, probly gotta try and keep the tools out of the snow.