What's your favorite sandbag?

Matt

Yesterday I climbed Princely Ambitions. I had followed it before, but yesterday was the first time I'd ever lead it. I love the way it kept asking me to step out into nothingness.

It used to be 5.8? No way. Even 5.9, I know lots of 5.9s that are easier than PA. A friend thinks Princely Ambitions is harder than Sagitarius (a nearby 5.10).

I love Index sandbags. So tasty. Mmm.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you ever do it when the block was there? It was quite a bit easier than it is now. It doesn't seem much harder than 5.9 now to me but there is much more of an intimidation factor. I don't know if I'd agree that PA is easier moves than Sagg but I'd agree it is more indimidating to lead. Think about leading both those climbs before cams!

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Puget:

Oh yea my favorite sandbag: Gutbuster 5.12b in Leavenworth. Anyone actually do that guy? I can't rate it because I can't get up it! Why don't people give their "correct" rating for the sandbags.

I've heard people say that Liquid Nitrogen at Wart Wall is a bit of a sandbag at .12a.

(The trick is being able to reach over the edge and feel for the crimpers while standing on greasy,sloping, slabby feet.)

quote:

Originally posted by Drew Jones:

Bunny Face - Smith Rock. I think it's maybe an 11.a
[Wink]

I got on that fucker once right after a late afternoon shower during which I downed a couple/five shots of Stoly. The Bunny Face kicked my ass big time. 10d/11a for sure that night.

quote:

Originally posted by texplorer:

Some of my fav sandbags:

Free for all 5.8 -Beacon Rock

Stanley Burger route- Prussik

Classic Crack 5.9 (My Ass) Broughton Bluff

Steck Salathe 5.9 or 5.9A2 -Yosemite

FYI ehmic: Godzilla isn't that wide.

Right on w/ Classic Crack, that thing routinely spits me out, greasy as hell. I feel better now. Maybe I just still suck at liebacks like that tho'. [geek]

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

Canary at 5.8 would be 5.9 at Squamish if climbed before 1986 or 10a if put up recently! (Mclane grades are not corrected for inflation)
[big Grin]

Gravity pulls harder here in the states [laf][big Drink]

A 5.8 climber in leavenworth is a 5.10 climber at Squamish [Roll Eyes]

[ 08-15-2002, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: richard noggin ]

I don't really think Princely or Godzilla are sandbags. They are just about right for their ratings.

I agree with TEX: Godzilla isn't that wide. You don't even have to go wide at all if you don't want to.

Has anyone got on "Dwarf Tossing" the bolted climb to the left of Princely? I haven't had the guts yet myself. It's not rated but I'll bet it's 10d at least.

ziller aint baaged one bit....in my opinion it is prolly the fairest and best rated .9 around....

it involves all da moves...face, mantels, fingers, hands, fists and a nice reach around move! i only wish there were some ow moves and maybe a durty chimmeny......

MF Overhang in Leavenworth has slain me twice so far. Definitely harder than most 5.11's I've tried. Perhaps third time will be the charm?

Squamish grades are inconsistent, I think. Sure there are the easy ones (Exasperator, pitoned into submission long ago, and Banana peel is now 5.8?), but there are plenty of ".10b" sandbags. Seasoned in the sun is rough for .10a, Caboose is rough for .10b, and while I have yet to get up there, the mighty Split Pillar (.10b) is considered one of the big cruxes of the .11a Grand wall. Brown ale

For a good (and rare) Skaha sandbag, try Supercharger (5.10). Then have a [big Drink] for me....