Relay race

Paul_detrick

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my idea of fun. Race all that way and get to Coeur d'Alene and run to jump into the latest edition to the Superfund sites across the US (the lake)! Actually it was knocked down as a superfund site b/c the EPA said that all the heavy metals in the water left over from mining days were "secure" in the lake bed. Sounds like a fun trip. Maybe we could incorporate the "scuba climbing" that was talked about a few months back, although how does one grade difficulty when chemicals and heavy metals are added to the mix [big Grin] ?

Just got back,that was a long two days. The relay is 226 mi., and teams have 12 members, we could only find 11 so some of our runners ran extra legs. Perty hard course, lots of good hills(if you like hills), fun for everyone. I think C.C. should put a team together. We ran over the hightist pass in Canada.

Cool race Detrick. C.C. should put a team together for the Ridge to River in Wenatchee or the Ski to Sea in Bellingham too. I was on a team a couple of years ago and we had a lot of fun and did real well just off the couch. I'm sure we have some cross-cuntry skiers, road bikers and kayakers among us...

I'd be in for the Ski to Sea up in B'ham. I did the running leg a couple of years ago. It hurt a lot (8 miles of downhill), but thought it was a hell of a lot of fun.

It would also be fun to put together a team and to a steven's to snoqualmie team race or maybe marblemout to Chelan. BIke to Cascade pass, trail run to the lake, kayak down the lake and have something else at the end.

Meanwhile,

[rockband]

It was an awesome time! I was on the team that Paul runs with and was the lucky [rockband][Eek!] son of a bitch that got to jump in the lake at the finish. Apparently, there was some female topless running going on a few teams behind us!

I'm surprised that Paul wasn't promoting the Beezly Hill run in Ephrata. [Razz]

Hey you guys, I'm seriously up for a formal or informal Snoqualmie to Stevens relay before the snow comes this season. After run/walking the first ten miles from Snoqualmie last week I've been trying to figure out an excuse to cruise that whole section in 1 or 2 days. I have to find something else to do if I'm not going for a one day climb of Olympus, after all. Anybody know just how many miles of trail we're talking about? 50 or so?

There was some sort of relay or ultra-marathon along the PCT from Stevens to Snoqualmie about 2 -3 years ago. I don't know who put it together. I do remember that one of the participants was unaccounted for for a period of 12 or so hours and the organizers were a little freaked out about it. I'll see if I can dug up any information on it.

Stepens to SnoCrummy pass. I believe it was called the UDM for ultimate death march. it is 72 miles + and has been completed in sub 24 hours by persons in the 50+ years category. BenMan and I were talking about doing this together soon so if anybody else is heading out let me know. We can tag along for the fun.

You have the direction right: Stevens to Sno. Besides having the best elevation profile, if someone is hurt or you get sick of the whol ething youcan easily escape down by Salmon Le Sac. A further note is that the terrain is best visually the more south you are so that you get pysched in the am. That final hill after waptus(?) lake is a bit of a killer tho. I'd recomend leaving at early evening from Stevens and then crusing fast, then slowing during the night and then speed up the next am. My view is nothing sucks more than to say "Oh I've been there but it was dark!" I just wanted the 24hr time and wasn't concerned with really going fast.

At a pube club a few months ago hikerwa and I were talking about getting a team together to do some of these relay events. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we could get a somewhat competitive team together. We could call it Team Horsecock and it would be plab [rockband]

Anything over 50 miles would ensure that a lot of this event would take place at night. I think I'd rather find a shorter stretch that could be managed in 16 to 18 hours at a good pace. I'll have to look at the map. Maybe Stevens to the Kennedy Hot springs/Glacier Peak trailhead. But a lot of that is in the woods and would be less interesting.

For any of you Olympic Mountains fans, we could consider a point to point across the range, such as up Enchanted Valley and down the Dosewallips (there's a problematic river crossing, since the bridge hasn't been replaced, plus the additional road miles because of the washout) or maybe up from the Elwha and down the Dungeness. This would not be too difficult to arrange logistically in terms of dropping off cars at trailheads, either. I'll dig up my trail guide and check it out.

How about a speed trip on Vancouver's West Coast Trail? It would be like a really long wet obstacle course and the tides would probly play havoc with mobility. If you want to find a place to suffer that would be it.