18 members have voted

1. 1. Simmerlite

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used the Whisperlite Int'l up to 19000 and have had no problems, Aconcagua and Mera. The simmerlite might be a bit funky because of the smaller fuel line and also the hole where the air and fuel mix is half the size as an Int'l.

A lighter backup would be a Pocket Rocket or some other sort of mini cartridge stove. They don't work nearly as well as an XGK, but damn if it isn't light. If you already have an XGK and you take good care of it, chances are you won't need a backup, so you can save weight and space by taking a lighter second stove. Plus it is easier to cook in a tent with a small cartridge stove. A buddy of mine once ignited a fireball inside a tent with me with his XGK.

A lighter backup would be a Pocket Rocket or some other sort of mini cartridge stove.

In my experience cartridge stoves don't work well at altitude, and don't work as well as gas in the cold. If your taking it as a backup, you'd also have to take a seperate supply of fuel.