Is there Hope?

dyno_merchant

we went up to hope to check out the bouldering today.... we checked out the stuff by the "hope next four exits" sign on highway 1. Are we missing something...we barely saw any signs of chalk and the trails and landings didn't seem like they have seen traffic for years. what's up? if this is one of the spots that I keep reading about that's supposted to be rad I must of missed all the rad stuff... where is it?????

by the way...the limestone at chilliwack was fun for the day. cool holds and great for a workout! Thanks for the beta.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ya, its a secret spot, eh? did you expect base of the chief type crowds?

if'n you want beta to the hard problems like how to find them, i will pm you with the address of marc lefebvre who is working on the guidebook

lake of the woods is way better than goldrush aka old hope, IMHO. there isd also an area of maple canyon like cobbles right on the outskirts of hope somewhere.

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

ya, its a secret spot, eh? did you expect base of the chief type crowds?

if'n you want beta to the hard problems like how to find them, i will pm you with the address of marc lefebvre who is working on the guidebook

lake of the woods is way better than goldrush aka old hope, IMHO. there isd also an area of maple canyon like cobbles right on the outskirts of hope somewhere.

I guess I expected too much. I just figured that if there is a web site about it and the old hope area has been talked about by the bouldering community so much then I would see way, way more evidence of climbing there. There only seemed to be a handfull of decent problems also...maybe we've all been babied by the world class bouldering of squamish! Interesting though...even the bouldering of Larrabee State Park and Sehome Hill has a ton of chalk and obvious trails and landing and those areas seem super local to Bellingham. I never see people from out of town bouldering there. Even with the lack of "base of the cheif sized crowds" b'ham bouldering see's ten times more traffic than old hope. I had to be missing stuff because old hope seems super over hyped for what it is.???

I'd be psyched to find high quality stuff to boulder on and can't wait for a guide. I'm sure that there must be better boulderfields in Hope than I saw.

about lake of the woods...We went there we think? We must have missed the good stuff because we only saw lots of little boulders.

about the cobble stuff...sounds cool and there seems to be a topo for it in the fraservalleybouldering.homestead.com site but with no direction on how to get there (on purpose?).

quote:

Originally posted by Crackhead:

what is the story with chiliwack? It's oh so close to home.

pretty easy to find...drive to chilliwack on Hwy 1 and exit at walmart. Drive east to the chilliwack river. Right before the Chilliwack river bridge turn left. I think this road is called Chilliwack Lake road but don't hold me to that. Drive this road for a while as it follows the Chilliwack river. The road will cross the river and then continue. In a little while you will see the bridge for Slesse creek(slesse creek runs into Chilliwack river). Park at the bridge. this bridge has an obvious chossy cliff right before it. The bouldering wall is hard to see...look maybe 50 yards to the right of the large chossy cliff and there will be a couple rough trails into some trees. look through the trees and you will see a overhanging wall with super flat and spacious landings. good moves and holds on averagelooking rock. We found that the full traverse (about 25 meters)is fun and there are some good short up problems on the left side

that are worth doing (with many variations to play on)

look at fraservalleybouldering.homestead.com if you want a topo of the problems.

have fun!

the wall may stay dry in rain??? i don't know if it seeps...may be a great rainy day area?

by the way does anyone know if there are sport routes on the limestone up there? Looks like serious potential if you could find easy access.

[ 08-15-2002, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: dyno merchant ]

quote:

I heard the website was down?

LOTW the boulders get bigger the further uphill you go. Thats easily one of the biggest boulderfields aside from the Soo Slide anywhere in SW BC.

we didn't go very far because of time. We went to check it out to late in day. Is there a specific climbers trail to follow or do you just wander up through the forest and boulders?

this is the area at the lake just north of hope on Hwy 1 right? Just wanted to make sure I'm talking about the same place you are.

about the web site..for some reason I can view it but sometimes if you go to a new page or leave the site on for too long you will "loose it". hit the site and see what I mean.

quote:

routes from 11a to 12+ across the valley...

talk to mike crapo for info on the routes.

ahhhh... i figured someone had developed at least some of it. Looks good. Has he found any caves or super steep stuff or is it all vert to slightly overhanging? What are the approaches like? Man o man I love limestone...

i can't view thatsite at all get a message from homesite saying no such site exists... i think they stopped paying homesite the $$$

yeah LOTW is north of hope - best boulders are at S end of lake, hike thru first boulder field to second one. no trails!! just look around. generally the further from the road you go the bigger the problems get.

really all those areas have so much potential i rarely repeat problems but rather scrub & climb new ones every time i go there. i personally find a lack of "developed" landings, trails and chalk on holds to be a big plus.

Hope is gonna be a pretty dead area until the guidebook comes out then all the trendy losers will show up blabbing about chris sharma gossip and grabbing each others bum.

quote:

Originally posted by dyno merchant:

quote:

routes from 11a to 12+ across the valley...

talk to mike crapo for info on the routes.

ahhhh... i figured someone had developed at least some of it. Looks good. Has he found any caves or super steep stuff or is it all vert to slightly overhanging? What are the approaches like? Man o man I love limestone...

i dont know of any big caves but there might be some.. if you want that super steep Thailand-esque tufa and pocket stuff you better go to hat creek or horne lake...it think there are only about 5 routes on 1 cliff so far (15 minute hike/bushwack & batman up steep fixed ropes in dirt gullies to reach)

i checked out some othercliffs you need more like a 45 minute uphill bush thrash to reach...

quote:

Originally posted by Greg W:

...No hope for boulderers...
[sleep]

why is it that we can't talk about bouldering on this forum without some tradster posting some lame comment about how,in their mind, we aren't as good as they are? We don't post on their topics and say rude things about them! We love and respect you, trad climbers-can't you love us too???

quote:

really all those areas have so much potential i rarely repeat problems but rather scrub & climb new ones every time i go there. i personally find a lack of "developed" landings, trails and chalk on holds to be a big plus.

Hope is gonna be a pretty dead area until the guidebook comes out then all the trendy losers will show up blabbing about chris sharma gossip and grabbing each others bum.

I understand what your saying it's rad having a place to yourself and running around putting up problems like crazy...so why is a guide coming out then? Keep the bum grabbers at Squamish.

quote:

quote:

...No hope for boulderers...
[sleep]

why is it that we can't talk about bouldering on this forum without some tradster posting some lame comment about how,in their mind, we aren't as good as they are? We don't post on their topics and say rude things about them! We love and respect you, trad climbers-can't you love us too???

Take it easy, there, young squab; we's just funnin'. Don't get your Pusher beanie all in a knot. Peace out, homes.

Greg W [big Drink]

a trad climber only needs one person to love him - his partner. or not even love him, they can be bound by mutual disgust but still want to climb the same peak.

but boulderers need the love cause they need 8 friends with pads to spot them on their new highball problem... [laf]

quote:

quote:

I understand what your saying it's rad having a place to yourself and running around putting up problems like crazy...so why is a guide coming out then? Keep the bum grabbers at Squamish.

A guide is coming out cause Nate and Mark want to spray about all the 'hard' problems they have done...

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by trask:

what is a boulderer? is that like a wanker or something?

It's like those kids that hang out in front of the 7-11 in your neighborhood, except it's a rock and they have big pad thingies.

Fuck you!!!...ahh that kind of feels good...