[TR] Spire Rock, West Pillar

pope

Range Southern Cascades

Mountain Spire Rock, West Pillar

Route Crisco Slab

Difficulty Grade I, 5.10

Descent South Face, via 5.9 finger crack

Time 30 laps in 30 minutes (car to car)

Conditions Except for a bit of humidity, this route is in excellent shape, with minimal broken glass visible and no pee/vomit aroma in the West Pillar notch.

Other parties There were no climbers anywhere on Spire this afternoon. There was, however, a photographer, his assistant, and an attractive girl who provided a subject for the photographer. The photographer did not seem at all concerned that I was climbing ropeless over his head as I repeatedly descended the finger crack.

Pope: I probably won't fall on you.

Photographer: That's reassuring.

Attractive Model (posing just around the corner in the West Pillar chimney): He's climbing above you? All I can really see of him is his butt.

Photographer: You should just look at the little bird above my camera.

Not wanting to distract the artist and his subject, I climbed several laps on Crisco Slab. Upon returning to the finger crack, I noticed the photographer had his back turned to the wall while the young model adjusted her wardrobe. From her position on the ledge above the overhang, articles of clothing including a provocative pair of boots were flung to the pea gravel below. I couldn't see her from my position on the pillar, and I can only speculate about what REALLY happened next in the photo shoot, but my imagination began to get the best of me. The whole scene was entirely too distracting, and I called it quits after thirty laps.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall this sounds like a better, less crowded route than that to the summit of Mt Marrymoor. Seems like everytime I do my 10 laps around that Cascade jewel, there is some gaper traversing the wrong way!.

Pope, you should send in this story to the Stranger (see their recent issue on sexual real estate).

I'm going to claim the bike-assisted speed record circumnavigation/traverse of Mt Marrymoor (rt from Seattle). The traverse was all free-solo, objective hazards like topropes and distractingly hot climber chicas were perilous, but manageable. I didn't have any timers or anything so I don't know how long it took, but I'm sure it's the record, that is until I go again.