New MEC in North Vancouver

jordop

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, I received their emails along with the attachment. So does this mean if I need biking or skiing or boarding stuff I need to go to NVan? BTW, I went down to MEC on Sat and saw the Fall catalogue (will be in mail in a few weeks). Much much better than the summer one. But the cover looks like it was done up by some cheezy coast mountain sports employee...so commercial...I stated my outrage to Brent Palmer who was collecting member opinion on the floor that day. grin.gif

MEC carries dead bird? Aside from the 1990's-era-technology harnesses and a couple of packs that is? What planet is your MEC on - Bizarro World? Dont you know dead bird is a clothing line yellaf.gif

Imagine my oversight!

Edited by jordop

A new MEC in North Van will likely make things easier for Squamish bound Yanks loadin up on cheap BD and dead bird hahaha.gif

Easier than just buying the same stuff in Squamish? Why waste time pulling off the highway to shop in a Big Box when Black Diamond, Arc'Teryx, Five Ten, Petzl, La Sportiva, Wild Country, Mammut, CCH, Metolius and more are already available at the local shops in Squamish, at the same prices MEC charges? How does an extra stop in North Van make the day "easier" if you're heading for Squamish anyhow? Seems to me it would make more sense to drive to Squamish, pick up your gear and be climbing already while everyone else is sitting in a parking lot in North Van waiting for the Co-op to open. Adds a good hour of climbing time to your day, and you get a jump on the crowds on the more popular routes.

A new MEC in North Van will likely make things easier for Squamish bound Yanks loadin up on cheap BD and dead bird hahaha.gif

Easier than just buying the same stuff in Squamish? Why waste time pulling off the highway to shop in a Big Box when Black Diamond, Arc'Teryx, Five Ten, Petzl, La Sportiva, Wild Country, Mammut, CCH, Metolius and more are already available at the local shops in Squamish, at the same prices MEC charges? How does an extra stop in North Van make the day "easier" if you're heading for Squamish anyhow? Seems to me it would make more sense to drive to Squamish, pick up your gear and be climbing already while everyone else is sitting in a parking lot in North Van waiting for the Co-op to open. Adds a good hour of climbing time to your day, and you get a jump on the crowds on the more popular routes.

Well said, Mr. Impartial Defender of The Small Climbing Shop Owner! wink.gif Just kidding, Murray; support the small, local shops, people.

• 3 weeks later...
Ever try driving around that area anywhere near rushhour?? hellno3d.gif.

Also, when you come off the bridge and head west on Main St., you can't turn left to get into the store. You have to drive past, turn around at the next intersection and come back, or park in the mall across the street.

On the plus side, after visting MEC you can walk across the street and patronize two other pillars of Canadian retail... Canadian Tire and Tim Hortons! yellaf.gif