Vermin!!!

chelle

I got shut down today on a climb I'd thought about for months because of a particular little vermin that I simply cannot get my head around. I have climbed next to lizards, bats, snakes...I can handle them all. I cannot handle spiders! hellno3d.gif

It appears that few people have recently climbed up Battered Sandwich at Index. I dealt with the occasional spider during the first 1/2 of the climb. I beat them away with my hand or a large size cam. I destroyed their webs. I thrutched my way up the lower part of the climb determined that I was going to get up this thing. And I made it up to that point without having to pull on my #3.5 cam this time.

fruit.gif

When I stood up at the little rest at the base of the chimney section I looked up and saw a maze of webs covering about 4 feet of the climb and about 15-20 dime sized (not including legs) spiders. They looked like tanish black widows. Eeek! I thought long and hard about what I was going to do. I really wanted this climb. I talked to my belayer about it. I took a few deep breaths and headed up a few feet, then decided I just couldn't do it. Ugh! I placed a piece and lowered. Bravely my belayer went up and without complaining cleared the way and then I got to climb up. All he said was man there are a lot of spiders up here. Thanks for understanding. wink.gif

What a great climb! Next time I am bringing my wisk broom to tape on the end of my nut tool. smile.gif

Anybody else have a particular kind of vermin that shuts you down?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The wasps got me in Thailand at the top of the 1st climb we hopped on after dropping our bags in the room. Stuck my hand into this perfect pocket to the left of the chains and 3 black hornets came flying out stinging me. Got me twice before my belayer could get me lowered away from them. It all happened so fast it wasn't that scary.

Knowing I had to climb up through that set of webs and that they could just lower down onto me, or that they'd fall on me when I knocked the web down was the creepy part. I gotta stop thinking about this or I won't be able to sleep tonight.

Chao.

I don't know about gettin shut down but, several years ago I was climbin a fun .9 in Arizona just after thanksgiving. A little over 150' up I found a nice ledge that seemed like it would make a good belay. As I pulled over the edge I found a whole pile of hibernating snakes tucked in a little hole. shocked.gif Back down I went and created a .10+ alternate to go around I wasn't into that scene one bit.

The wasps got me in Thailand at the top of the 1st climb we hopped on after dropping our bags in the room. Stuck my hand into this perfect pocket to the left of the chains and 3 black hornets came flying out stinging me. Got me twice before my belayer could get me lowered away from them. It all happened so fast it wasn't that scary.

Knowing I had to climb up through that set of webs and that they could just lower down onto me, or that they'd fall on me when I knocked the web down was the creepy part. I gotta stop thinking about this or I won't be able to sleep tonight.

Chao.

You're lucky wasps were what you ran into in a pocket. My friend was climbing on the Thai Wand wall & a lizard was hanging out on a tufa next to him. All of a sudden, this 8 ft snake flys out of the crack he was climbing (about 6 ft above him) and munches that lizard down. He was just about to clip, had a bunch of rope pulled up + I had penalty slack out (since we were sport climbing a crack, penalty slack is sporting), he ended up taking a 20' on sketchy bolts to avoid the snake when it started heading back into his crack right at his handjam. Turns out said snake is deadly poisonous, can't remember name.

Lotsa creepy crawlys on the rock in Thailand

Cheers

BB

Once I was climbing a really nice flake up on the Coberg wall. About a 1/4 of the way up the crack I got to spot at which everytime I put my hand in the crack, I would hear an angry buzzing from inside. I went up three times, heard the buzzing three times, then sheepishly backed off the third time. My partner gave me the "You fucking pathetic pussy" look as we exchanged the rack back at the belay and he prepared to go up.

It was with much satisfaction that I broke down the belay and set up for a rap 5 minutes later. He backed off the first time.

- a s s m * n k e y

My father is shown in this picture inspecting the head of a rather large Eunectes murinus .

Anacondas usually do not grow to this size, but this chap managed to survive to ripe old age.

383393-anaconda.JPG

Father Niles Remington, shown third from the left, kept the snake as a pet for many years, until the unfortunate morning when the good Padre found the snake eating his prize Carrier Pigeons.

Dispaching the serpent with a single shot from his pistol, Father Remington became the new owner of a must unusual set of snakeskin boots.

383393-anaconda.JPG.d3786074e132017e3ba1c58da2a28325.JPG

Got chased off a crack in L-worth by a little baby rattler. He decided the sunny pocket about 1/3 of the way would be a nice place to take nap! blush.gif

Buddy of mine got bit on the hand by a rattler bouldering up in the Okanogan. Reached up to big jug (ledge) and "WHAP". Snake was known to habitate large crack connected to ledge. I'd suggested "removing" said snake for a couple years before that but got denied with crys of "they're good for the environment, they keep the rodent population at bay, it's wrong to "remove" an animal from it's natural environment, ect"

FUKKIN HIPPIES!!!

$16,000 later, the snake has been "removed".

BB