Opinions on The Mountaineers?

rockymountainboy

...so is there an exam to become "experienced"? Can you check out a resume???

Are you considered an expert there?

The answers are no and no. We don't submit resume's to teach at field trips, although to become a climb leader you definitely must submit a climbing resume. I'm about about at the median when it comes to experience (seven years).

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...as you know, seven years could mean a lot or it could mean very little...

I know people who have quickly become competent and know people who will never be competent...

being able to view a trip leader's resume would be something i would expect before i signed onto a trip...you can view a guide's resume...why not a tl's??

Because a trip leader doesn't get paid squat he's a volunteer. However to become a climb leader you have to submit a climbing resume (as well as references I think) to the climbing commitee who makes the decision on whether or not your fit to lead climbs. But again, word of mouth gets around pretty quick. I've come in contact or close climbing budies have with probably 80-90% of the people who lead a lot of climbs for the club and i've only been in the mounties for 2 years.

However this is something i've seen come up on the mountie bulletin board a couple of times as well.

Edited by selkirk

I'm saying that yes you have to place a certain amount of faith in others. And you always have the option to back out if it isn't safe, or again, talk to the climb leader directly and ask him those questions, or get the opinions from other people who've climbed with him.

Also it's not like were talking about climbing Liberty Ridge or doing a Pickets Enchainment. Were talking the Tooth, the Brothers, Whitehorce, the DC on Rainer. Most of the climbs are technically very easy to moderate, with pretty much all basic rock climbs at 5.4, with maybe the ocassional 5.5 move. These are not high end extremely difficult climbs.

At the intermediate level you should be getting to know the climb leaders even better, the onus is on you to make it safe. The climb provides a framework and says these people have some basic qualifications and a reasonable amount of experience. You want more info then it's you should go get.

Besides, do you request a complete climbing resume from everyone you climb with? If you want a no thought cattle like climbing experience you should go hook up with RMI. It's a club...... the purpose is for you to meet other people to climb, not for someone else to drag your ass up the mountain. You need to be actively involved evaluating your climbing partners, the climb leader, the conditions and being an "active" participant. If you don't want to climb with someone who's experience you don't completely know, then here's the revelation......don't. The club doesn't force you to, the climb leaders don't force you to.

On the other hand, it opens up a lot of opportunities to climb with a wide variety of people, with climbs nearly ever weekend. If you see one that you like, with a climb leader you trust then go.... if not, find another leader...

Edited by selkirk