Galen and Barbara Rowell killed in plane crash

iain

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bummer! [Frown][Frown]

Galen Rowell was definitely one of my role models both as a climber (no reason to list his resume) and a photographer in my younger years. His presence will be missed in both the climbing and photograhy world.

A [big Drink] to a great career out of the office.

ya...saw his gallery in bishop a couple years ago...was a pretty fascinating guy...i always remember his photograph of the potala palace with the rainbow...he had to literally run across the city to capture the right aspect on that one...a tragic loss...

Thanks Big Wave, for sharing the story. What a shock. I had never met Galen or Barbara personally, but was looking forward to seeing at least him in the future in our area for an outdoor- or photography-related lecture or workshop. Considered by many to be the best outdoor photographer in the world, he was also an original Yose hardman, put up many new routes, advanced clean climbing (one of the first to not use pins on hard Valley aid routes), did an incredible number of world-wide expeditions, and communicated to others the issues and problems of culture and environment from wherever he and Barbara traveled. Together, they were a great team.

Very Sad,

Galen was my photographic idol and inspiration. Through his photography, I believe I was inspired and lead into the world of climbing. Two things I consider to have been primary passions in my life.

Though I have never met him, I would say he has had a profound affect on my life's direction.

He is a great loss.

I love the story in the recent book on 50 climbers and their favorite routes on Galen traveling to Circue of the Unclibables with two sport climbers who bolt a huge line up most of the wall until they get to 3 nasty .10c off-width pitches. They decided to scrap it and go home, but Galen put away the camera and the led the last pitches and then forced them into a bunch of 5.9 traverses to the summit. Classic.

quote:

I love the story in the recent book on 50 climbers and their favorite routes on Galen traveling to Circue of the Unclimbables with two sport climbers who bolt a huge line up most of the wall until they get to 3 nasty .10c off-width pitches. They decided to scrap it and go home, but Galen put away the camera and the led the last pitches and then forced them into a bunch of 5.9 traverses to the summit. Classic.

I believe that was Skinner and Piana, if I remember the article correctly. I think they were dogging/freeing some old aid line and challenged/offered Rowell to take that pitch(es), which he essentially soloed due to a lack of big protection. Skinner stopped taking shots with Rowell's camera because he didn't want to take a picture of the whipper if Galen sketched.

But enough of that. Stopped by Rowell's gallery in Bishop last year and saw some of the breadth of his work.

He was certainly a class act and a pioneer -- this is a big tragedy for the outdoor community. I can't say that I knew Galen Rowell, but I was fortunate enough to meet both him and Barbara last summer in their gallery in Bishop. We were gawking over one of his photographs and he approached us and asked if we had any questions. After calming my nerves I finally pointed to the photo and blurted out. "Yes, how did you do this?". He was gracious enough to spill the beans and we wound up getting a personalized tour of his place. He seemed a very genuine guy and willing to help encourage other folk's passions.

Truly a sad event.

If it's of any interest, Rowell did mention one of his favorite photos, or at least favorite portraits, that of Jim Bridwell on the February 1972 (1st winter) ascent of Keeler Needle. Bridwell is shown gnarling at the camera, hanging by goldline and all decked out in pitons and scratchy clothing. Classic portrait which apparently captured Rowells vision at the moment. Another one of his favorites was of Leif Patterson reveling in the return to greenery after the 1975 K2 fiasco.

Those familiar with portrait photography will recognize the difficulty of capturing fleeting moments like these. Not to mention hanging over the abyss while doing so.

quote:

Originally posted by Big Wave Dave:

If it's of any interest, Rowell did mention one of his favorite photos, or at least favorite portraits, that of Jim Bridwell on the February 1972 (1st winter) ascent of Keeler Needle. Bridwell is shown gnarling at the camera, hanging by goldline and all decked out in pitons and scratchy clothing. Classic portrait which apparently captured Rowells vision at the moment.

Big Wave, Thanks for letting us know. I think you meant the honorable Batso, on that Keeler's winter ascent...

"Warren Harding on Keeler's Needle"

-

quote:

Originally posted by Big Wave Dave:

Another one of his favorites was of Leif Patterson reveling in the return to greenery after the 1975 K2 fiasco.

"Celebrating return to green grass"

-

Sorry for posting all the pics, but I can't help it...he has SO many. For more, check out Mountain Light, but 2 of my favorites:

"High winds on Anye Machin"

-

And maybe THE photo seen by the most people in the world?

"Rainbow over Potala Palace, Lhasa"

-

[ 08-13-2002, 01:35 AM: Message edited by: pindude ]

I haven't been to the Bishop gallery, but have seen his work at the Mountain Light gallery in Emeryville. I think this is one of my favorite photos and because Marmot used a portion of it for all their hang tags a couple years ago, many others have seen it too.

Spectre of the Brocken, Gokyo Ri, Nepal

http://www.mountainlight.com/gallery.nepal/aa970pic.html