Galen and Barbara Rowell killed in plane crash

iain

You know, Rowell was one of the few out there who could challenge Bridwell for bizarre slide show narration. Went to a slideshow he gave in Vancouver a few years back and he was talking about space travel and taking pictures on the Moon while shots of small planes and Jaques Cousteau were playing on the screen. Then shots taken by the astronauts came up on screen and he started talking about the Dalai Lama!

The shot of Harding on the FA of S Face of Half Dome that was on the cover of Climbing a few years back is also a great one. Harding has been suffering again (probably ran out of wine) and his haggard eyes and unshaven face make him look like a demonic Fred Beckey.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to recall reading a biographical sketch of Beckey which related that in about 1974, Beckey and Rowell were heading for a unclimbed line in the Sierras. Beckey got bad vibes and decided he wanted to turn around. Rowell insisted everything was gonna be Ok and refused to turn around and descend with Fred - instead, he went on to solo the line. Fred was allegedy pissed off by this to the point he never climbed with Rowell again after this!

Anybody know if this story is true or not?

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

I seem to recall reading a biographical sketch of Beckey which related that in about 1974, Beckey and Rowell were heading for a unclimbed line in the Sierras. Beckey got bad vibes and decided he wanted to turn around. Rowell insisted everything was gonna be Ok and refused to turn around and descend with Fred - instead, he went on to solo the line. Fred was allegedy pissed off by this to the point he never climbed with Rowell again after this!

Actually I heard that Beckey wasn't down with doing a "horsecock-less" ascent and bailed.

[big Grin]

As an outdoor photographer myself I am deeply sadened by this tragedy. I subscribe to "Outdoor Photographer" and have truly enjoyed his column every month; it will be missed.

His technique in photography is something I never tire of looking at and continue to try and attain. Not by copying, but by picking up his tips on "seeing" and "personal expression". Reading his column for the last few years gave great insight into Galen's mind and his heart. And it may sound funny, but I feel like I got to know him a little this way. He inspired me to push myself to take better pictures and, while I never met him, I feel as though I have lost a friend.

God bless

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

Don't know about this story specifically, but I heard another one where Fred lost out on an FA he had the chance for (and likely was his idea in the first place), and he got royally pissed off! [big Grin] Can't remember the details, but quite a few years ago he went in to bag a new route somewhere here in the greater PNW, and he was to meet a couple Spokane climbers. On the day they were to meet in the backcountry, he didn't show, so the Spokane boys went and climbed the route anyway. When they arrived back at their basecamp-- and original meeting point--after the ascent, Fred was finally there, and asked straight away if they climbed the route. They told him they had, but Fred had to have known it was his fault. It turned out he had gotten on the wrong trail on the way in...while the Spokane boys were climbing, theycould hear down-valley the characteristic pinging of Fred's coupla pitons binered to his pack, but it was too late for them to do anything about it.

[ 08-14-2002, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: pindude ]

quote:

Originally posted by ehmmic:

...I think this is one of my favorite photos and because Marmot used a portion of it for all their hang tags a couple years ago, many others have seen it too.

Spectre of the Brocken, Gokyo Ri, Nepal

Back on topic...this photo very appropos. Thanks ehmmic, for linking to this one.