Easy Hikes for Mom

moonrover

Mom isn't a climber, and I'm taking her for a walk this weekend. Any suggestions on easy hikes (no more than about 2K elevation gain / loss) with great scenery? These are hard to come by in the Cascades. I was thinking either somewhere on the coast (beach hike) or an easy (car-accessible) high traverse somewhere - lakes and flowers a plus. This will be an overnight deal (I'm doing most of the carrying), so info on camps out there is also relevant.

Figured I'd get better info here than in spray. wink.gif

Thanks! wave.gif

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greg, do you mean the Alpental Snow Lake or the Enchantments Snow Lake? If the latter, that is way more than 2K vert and is a pretty tough hike.

How about hiking up the Hoh River trail a ways? First 10 miles are flat and lots of great campsites. You could visit the beaches before/after the hike too.

Also check out: Washington Trails Association They have a cool "trail finder" in which you type in the mileage, vert, etc you are looking for and it gives you a list of trails that meet those criteria.

Talapus and Ollalie Lakes are nice, easy hikes. Think they are off exit 42 on I-90. like 4 miles R/T with 500 feet of gain (if that).

Little Si is nice, but can be crowded on the weekends- go early.

Commonwealth Basin to Red Lake is a nice hike, mostly flat until you wind your way up to the lake and then you gain it quickly. Think it's 3-4 miles each way and 1200 feet of elevation gain. Shares the start to the Kendall Catwalk trail- first exit at Snoqualmie Pass, hang a left towards Alpental and take your first right and park at the PCT trailhead.

I took my mom on a trip out the Lake Ozette,cape Alava trail, she loved it. Very little gain, and a short beach walk south is a little shelter that sometimes has space available. Lots of marshland flowers and pretty stuff. It pushes the 4 hour limit and I havn't been out there in a few years. Thought I would share it as it's one that mom wanted to do again. (big brownie points) smile.gif

yes, push the limit a bit and you could take Mom up Three Brothers Mountain in Manning Park. Drive up to the alpine at Blackwall Peak and hike a 10km long trail with an average grade of 3% through flower strewn meadows. If its a bit far for a day trip there are two campgrounds along the trail and plenty of whiskeyjacks and marmots for comic relief.

The Evergreen Mountain Lookout hike is one of the best easy hikes around. I think the elevation gain is around 1000' and you get some great views from the top. Starts in a big blue berry patch and wanders up through an old burn, then through old growth. It seems like it was about an hour hike at a leisurely pace.

It's off of the Index - Skykomish road. I think FS 65?

I second the recommendation for the Olympic coast. I took my mom out there a few summers ago and she loved it. A short, mostly flat walk through nice old growth puts you on the beach. Wander as far as you like, pitch your tent where you please. Get permits at the ranger station - they are a few dollars a night, but you don't have to pay the park entry fee. I believe they also require hard sided containers for your food, but they are available at the ranger station too. FWIW, they issue as many permits as people want (no quota), so it can get crowded on the weekends. The trail is also ultra short, so you see all sorts of crazy stuff - dads making multiple trips back and forth to the car hauling the family's gear in rolling luggage, strollers, ect.

For short, easily accessible views, I can't think of anything closer than the Artist Point area near Mt. Baker. It's popular w/ day hikers on the weekend, but you could probably find some nice camp spots too.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd post a follow-up to this. We went to Shi-shi beach and it was awesome. smile.gif Seems like there could be some good bouldering out there, except that I started to traverse a stack and promptly ripped off a hold... oops. Watch for that rock. I did scramble to the top of one of the stacks which was fun, and also ran through a huge flock of seagulls on the beach, which was probably even more entertaining. laugh.gif I'd like to haul a surfboard out there one of these days. Perfect waves. Unfortunately, people are really starting to discover that beach and it's getting quite a bit more use. We had a giant drunken group of army guys just a few spots away... and of course, being 2 women alone by a fire, we got a fair amt of uninvited attention from them. I got to see a nipple-piercing by firelight. Wonderful. Anyway, all in all a great trip and thanks for all the suggestions! thumbs_up.gif

Here is a good one for you. I just took my mom and six year old brother there. We had fun. There is a 2.8 mile hike to the top of Tolmie Peak. Great flowers, a few lakes (I swam in one), and a lookout up top with a spectacular view of the mowich face. It's 40 minutes from tacoma or so. 410 to hwy 65 I think out of farifax. Check out the farifax bridge too. It's worth a walk across. The only downfall is that there may be a few people. I hope it doesn't rain on you. Comet falls is another good one. There are meadows on top...

• 2 weeks later...

Second Evergreen Mountain. One of the easiest/coolest spots on the west side. OK, not great camp spots if you can't get in the lookout. Carry water. Forget the road #; reached by about 10 mi of road on the East side of the beckler from Jack's Pass

Also West Cady Ridge. 5 star meadows reached through 5 star old growth. About 3mi. 2k vert to first good camps alas no water on top here this time of year either.