[TR] N. Twin Sister- W. Ridge (FIRST NUDE ASCENT???) 8/9/2004

Alpinfox

Climb: N. Twin Sister-W. Ridge (FIRST NUDE ASCENT???)

Date of Climb: 8/5/2004

Trip Report:

I'm writing this TR mostly to give some detailed beta on the approach because it's somewhat confusing and I haven't seen a great description elsewhere.

From Seattle take I5 north and take Bow Hill Road (exit 236) east. It turns into Prarie road. Keep going straight for 8.5mi to Hwy9. Take a left and head north on Hwy9 for 10.1 miles to Mosquito Lake road. Take a right and head east until you cross the middle fork of the Nooksack river (9.4mi) on a one lane bridge. About 200 yards past the bridge, take a right onto Forest Road 38 (not signed, big gravel pile). Follow this road for 4.1mi to Clearwater Creek Bridge then another .4 mi to Gailbreath Creek Road (a spur road off to the right). Follow this road to a bridge over the mid.fork of the Nooksack. There is a gate here. Park.

The gate was open when I got there, but locked when I left. I wouldn't risk getting locked in. I tried to hitch a ride with a gravel truck that passed me on the way up. No dice.

Bring a mtn bike with some low gears. I only have a 12 speed with skinny tires which wasn't ideal for this trip and I had to walk my bike on the way up in several of the steeper sections.

Bike up the road about 2.5 miles until an overgrown road heads off to the right at about 2600ft elev. Keep going up this road staying on the most well traveled track and keeping to the LEFT. There is a fork at about 1.5 miles, keep left. Another 1 mile gets you to the "trailhead" marked with a sign that says "9100" across the road from a sign that says "Mile 9.0". You will see a large downed tree here.

Most route descriptions I've seen say leave your bike here, but if you have a mtn bike with low gears, I'd consider keeping the bike. The trail is initially narrow and somewhat overgrown with alder, but after a few hundred yards opens back up to a full-width logging road. You could ride your bike there. In any case, stay on this logging road and follow a few switchbacks up 1.5 miles to the end of the road. Stay on the main branch (most obviously used) that heads up toward the base of the W. ridge. An obvious climbers path heads up directly from the end of the road. The route is obvious from there.

And now for the REAL reason you clicked on this trip report:

HARDCORE NUDITY!!!

At the trailhead:

1826NTSister22Censored.jpg

At the summit:

1826NTSister_027.jpg

ps - While running down the trail, I managed to lose a purple Adidas T-shirt. If anyone finds it, I'd like it back.

Gear Notes:

Approach shoes, hat.

Approach Notes:

Bring Mtn bike. See above for details. Do not even CONSIDER doing this approach without a bike.

Ripe huckleberries and blueberries on the approach. MMMmmmm!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nope.

See attachment for a pic showing the north side of N. Twin Sister from somewhere on the upper logging road.

Actually the North Face proper is behind that spur on the left... but nevertheless, I don't doubt that it is dry choss right now. Definitely descend the W. Ridge this time of year. thumbs_up.gif

Another snippet of beta: the first turnoff from the main logging road is right at milepost 2.5 (there is a milemarker sign).

The northside snowfield is mostly gone. There's a lot of annoying scree traversing if you use the northside descent. Pax's photo shows the northwest snowfield, which is not really part of the descent path (you walk along its lower left margin a little). In hindsight, I'd say it's better to downclimb the route.

Photos to follow in a beta-packed TR!

ps - While running down the trail, I managed to lose a purple Adidas T-shirt. If anyone finds it, I'd like it back.

What? You had clothing on the approach/deproach?! On second thought, that's good, I was thinking that the nude bicycling would be the least fun part of the trip yellaf.gif.