mt adams south side access

astrov

So last wednesday, the Forest Service closed the road 8040 because of the conflagration up ther ... and they reckoned it won't be open until next weekend. I'd like to get up there early this week, is it possible to drive through the Yakama nation to bird creek camp ground and then hike 3 miles or so west to where the slog normally starts? Who would I call to get a permit, I wonder.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...is it possible to drive through the Yakama nation to bird creek camp ground and then hike 3 miles or so west to where the slog normally starts? Who would I call to get a permit, I wonder.

Not unless you're American Indian. Driving access thru the res is out if you're not native. They won't even let Mountain Rescue into the res that way on missions. However, if you were to go stealth... shocked.gif

...is it possible to drive through the Yakama nation to bird creek camp ground and then hike 3 miles or so west to where the slog normally starts? Who would I call to get a permit, I wonder.

Not unless you're American Indian. Driving access thru the res is out if you're not native. They won't even let Mountain Rescue into the res that way on missions. However, if you were to go stealth... shocked.gif

Huh? We white non-native folk were just up there a couple of weeks ago. Drove straight into Bird Creek, no stealth required. Lots of guys from the rez were working in the area of the parking lot, and they were real friendly and said hi to us and so on. Not a single comment was made about access. I've heard that sometimes there'll be a guy out there to whom you pay $5 for the privilege of driving onto the reservation, but there wasn't anyone this time.