Request for Submissions from Alpinist

jon

Email from Christian Beckwith

Alpinist Magazine is seeking contributions from climbers for its next issue. In particular, we‚re looking for pieces for two departments: The Climbing Life and Short Pitches.The Climbing Life offers a forum for our readers to share their observations from their own climbing experiences. The section features succinct essays, revealing anecdotes, amusing insights, pithy observations, tightly written slander and bald-faced lies on climbing-related subjects of the author‚s choosing. Essays, vignettes and anecdotes should not be about you, your friends or your climbing. Rather, they should offer an impartial, third-person observation about some aspect or occasion of the climbing life that amuses, appalls, inspires, excites, arouses, infuriates or in some other way moves you. Pieces should be well-written, 250- to 500-word essays that capture the color, sound, and/or taste of the world from the climber's perspective. Pay is $.30 per word for the piece; submit pieces to submissions@

alpinist.com.

Short Pitches are another reader-driven forum that allow authors to capture those treasured moments we find on our climbs in poetic vignettes. The precision and brevity of Short Pitches render them a close cousin to haikus: they should be no more than 250 words and paint simple images based on very specific, very concise occurences from your climbs. Pay is $.30 per word for the piece; submit them to submissions@alpinist.com.

Thanks!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Email from Christian Beckwith

Short Pitches are another reader-driven forum that allow authors to capture those treasured moments we find on our climbs in poetic vignettes. The precision and brevity of Short Pitches render them a close cousin to haikus: they should be no more than 250 words and paint simple images based on very specific, very concise occurences from your climbs.

What kind of fruity crap is this? This isn't a cappuccino commercial.

Slap that man with a horsecock.

• 9 months later...

For anyone considering writing a piece for Alpinist, I would like to bring to light a recent experience:

I submitted a piece about a month ago and immediately got a reply asking for some minor changes. Which I gladly did. (it is not customary to ask for edits until an offer of acceptance has been made, but the changes seemed minor)

Then I was asked to do some more substantial changes, then on a third draft some more sentence-level changes. Then a fourth edit with more big changes. Then I got "Christian likes this, but change these words." Which I did, certain that they wanted the piece. Then today I got: "well, we didn't like your whole approach very much. We won't take it this time but if you want we can still work on it and maybe for the next issue . . ."

Don't waste your your goddamned time thumbs_down.gif

Edited by jordop

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...