[TR] Mt. Hood- Coe Glacier Icefall 8/4/2004

iain

Climb: Mt. Hood-Coe Glacier Icefall

Date of Climb: 8/4/2004

Trip Report:

coe1.jpg

HB, Mr. Beer and I made leisurely stroll through the Coe Glacier Icefall this morning. You can make it as fun as you want to. We found some good, but short sections of steep ice to climb, with some interesting route-finding problems at times.

Gear Notes:

5 screws, 2 pickets. Pickets were key for at least one belay.

Approach Notes:

Follow west moraine up, swing around the crags on either side, cross a snow tongue to a notch, and downclimb a crappy gully to the glacier.

Edited by iain

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus dude you need some medication. Sorry, no pics of the dome, but I can tell you it has some big dust suncups and a surprising number of crevasses that are often less-than-easy to spot boot-skiing down. It is still quite skiable, but whether it could be called fun is another question. I'd consider skiing done for the year on Hood except for I.Rock/Palmer but I am not a hard case either.

Jesus dude you need some medication.

laugh.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.giflaugh.gifcool.gifsmile.gif

Got a serious snow jones there Dude. I knew a Labrador once that had the same fixation with a tennis ball.

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

It's REAL bad if you find yourself praying for fresh stuff in August.

P.L.E.A.S.E......... grin.gifgrin.gif

OK

Look, I have to come out of the closet some here. I'll share with you the other window I have open right now. Had it open before I logged on here. Then I'll STFU and quietly slink away with my tennis ball.

http://www.bergfreunde.org/snow.htm

Thinking its time to see when the ski swap is happening. I also will confess to checking Meadows site TODAY to see (pray) if the $400 season passes would be back this year.

And I'm not even that good of a skier.

Nice pic too: great clarity -thanks for sharing.

It is still quite skiable, but whether it could be called fun is another question.

The Snowdome was absurdly good today! Gone are the "big dust suncups". The surface was smooth, very smooth--much smoother then when I skied it 4 weeks ago.

The 'dome as seen from it's base on Sunday 8/8:

domeOverview2.jpg

Cross-post (bad style, I know) of freshiez labeled:

powPowForReal2.jpg

My skis in a patch of freshiez!

frieshizPatch.jpg

Some guy I don't know but photographed anyway enjoying the great snow:

someDudeIDontKnow.jpg

Our (a party of 3 and me) tracks on the lwr dome:

tracks.jpg

I'm such a slut that after I finished with the 'dome I put tracks on the tiny snowfield below Langille Crags right next to some poor souls boot glissade path. I could see my tracks all the way down the moraine but this photo don't come out so well:

trackBelowLangille.jpg

Snowdome far exceeded my expectations today.

PS: Thanks for letting me hijack your thread. smile.giffruit.gif

PS2: I recommend everyone who climbs the Coe carries skis with them.

I also will confess to checking Meadows site TODAY to see (pray) if the $400 season passes would be back this year.

You didn't actually state whether they would be back or not so I just checked the Meadows site now. Indeed they are back. They go on sale September 1st.

Other newsworth changes at Meadows are:

- A new highspeed quad which will go up the ridge overlooking Timberline. Meadows claims this will, "access great expert powder caches" and "alow freestylers to hit Vista Park, South Park AND the SuperPipe all in one run". The latter I don't care for, the former sounds nice though I'm having a hardtime wrapping my mind around where these "expert powder caches" are.

- Opening HR Express, Shooting Star and the new quad at 8:30am. This is a *very* welcome change!

- A lame new "Front Line Guide Service" which will offer, "Fast paced guided mountain tour with lift cutting privileges. Hook up with our EpiCenter staff for some laps – it’s not a lesson, it’s not a race – it’s going skiing and riding with a friendly guide who can get you the terrain and the vertical you want AND take you to the head of the lift line". Lame becuase it involves lift cutting!

The first two changes are welcome, the third is not. This is all from http://www.skihood.com/whatsnew.htm.

curious...

are you guys referring to terrain, ethics, overcrowding, other?

My main objection is there wish to develop Cooper Spur into a mega destination resort. Luckily, thanks to a lot of the folks on this site, there's been such a backlash against them it appears they've virtually abandoned this plan.

Terrain and crowds are secondary objections. Opening more lifts at 8:30 is very welcome. I wish more resorts would do this, it increases uptake capacity without ruining wilderness.

As much as I hate Meadows, for $400 I'll get a season pass. My rationale is that I'll ski so much Meadows will actually lose money by selling me that pass :-).

My rationale is that I'll ski so much Meadows will actually lose money by selling me that pass :-).

Er, no that's pretty unlikely. What are you going to wear out the lift cushion or something? yellaf.gif

I have disliked Meadows because they seem to do the bare minimum to keep people from starting a riot. It's the little things, like no complimentary ski check like Timberline, not even to season pass holders. If there is a service they can slash, they will do it in the name of profit. Lifts rarely seem to open on time either. I have not encountered this at other places. They should look to Bachelor for how to run a lift system.

Er, no that's pretty unlikely. What are you going to wear out the lift cushion or something? yellaf.gif

If they didn't sell me a season pass I'd probably buy a punch card plus lift tickets which aggregate cost would exceed $400. Since I'd be spending more per ski day I'd also likely stay longer therefore purchasing food, beer, etc which I typically don't do now. I'm sure there's plenty of others here who could say the same.

I have disliked Meadows because they seem to do the bare minimum to keep people from starting a riot. <snip> If there is a service they can slash, they will do it in the name of profit.

In my expereince virtually every resort seems to do this. Before I moved to PDX fulltime last Winter I skied a lot at Kirkwood in Cali. By far I think they were much more greedy in terms of opening lifts and giving extra services to dirtbag pass holders.

They should look to Bachelor for how to run a lift system.

I've only skied Bachelor a few times but they do seem to handle large crowds excellently.

To me terrain is a bigger factor then how a resort treats pass holders. IMO all Oregon resorts equally suck in regards to terrain. I wish Crystal was closer.

IMO all Oregon resorts equally suck in regards to terrain.

Skibowl rockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gif

That is, when they get good snow down low. Which is rare. But I always seem to get a few choice days a season in there, and at $20 or so a ticket you get your moneys worth.

Uh, sorry for all the spray on your thread Iain. Still a sweeeet pic!

I completely agree. The best example of Bachelor's sickness is the Nordic Freestyle Terrain Park! Quoting from my 03/04 Nordi Brochure, "(this is) the first ever terrain park for cross country enthusiasts. The Nordic Park features jumps, rollers and other suprises designed to add a whole new element to cross country skiing".

Complete sickness! I just wish my skin-tight lycra bodysuit had more padding . . .

and at $20 or so a ticket you get your moneys worth.

$20/ticket + Outback + No upper mountain lift lines = rockband.gif

Meadows would be the undisputed champ if they had decent lift service to their good terrain (heather canyon) The 3 lifts to do laps on Upper Heather suck, particularly with the monstrous lines they almost always have.