Mt. Baker info

ogre

Me and a buddy of mine are wanting to climb Baker this weekend via Easton Glacier. Have never been on this mt. and so looking for tips,advice,good time to start. Do we need harnesses to rope up to/with? How long does it take? (We do St. Helens in 3-31/2 hours,Adams in around 7). Decent routes? Gear,clothing, etc... Thanks for any info you might have

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ogre,

Click on "Main Index" at the top of the page, then click on "North Cascades" under the "Route Reports" heading. You'll find lots of info about Baker. You can also use the "Search" function to find info about Baker or the Easton Glacier route in particular.

Good luck on your climb.

I was just on Baker last weekend on the Boulder/Park Cleaver route. We talked with some folks who came up the Easton and said it was in good shape.

Some dude on this board reported that he did it in 9 hours round trip. The ascent and descent are the same for the Easton.

Baker is heavily glaciated and I recommend roping up and carrying crevase rescue gear (picket/pulley/prusiks). Crampons/axe are bascially a neccessity. Whatever clothing you wore on Adams would be appropriate. Last weekend it was so warm I wore only a windshirt over my t-shirt, light Schoeller pants with no insulation on my legs, no gloves and a baseball cap to keep the sun off.

Start early, that side of the mountain ges direct sunlight all day and the snow turns to crap. I would say plan to be on the glacier by 4:00 or 5:00 am so you top out by or 9:00 and be down off the glacier by noon.

Edited by danielpatricksmith

just back from C/D route Monday. Bring basic glaicer gear, including picket. Leave EARLY, the snow gets real soft an hour after the sun is on it. Plan on being on summit before 9 or you'll be swiming back down. The upper Easton looked to be in great shape, straight forward route finding