Anything to scramble around mystic lake campground

daveLok

I am planning to backpack for a weekend at the mystic lake campground on the north side of the mountain. I was wondering if someone could suggest good scrambles/hikes in that area. My friends do not have experience in glacier travel so that is out of question.

I notice a couple of peaks right next to mystic lake, namely mineral mountain and old desolate. Has anybody hiked upto the summit of either of these peaks? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out Ericsbasecamp for a TR on a scramble up

Sluiskin and Old Desolate.

Don't know if your friends are up for but this, but Eric's TR makes it sound like an interesting objective.

If they are looking for less demanding stuff... mostly hiking rather than loose 3rd class and are heading in or out to Mystic via Sunrise you can hit Skyscraper (easy, short) Burroughs Mtn (good views up close to the mountain) or Mt. Freemont Lookout. All are hikes you could take anyone on without worries.

http://www.ericsbasecamp.net/trips/NMRNP/NMRNP.htm

You can scramble up Old Desolate and traverse Vernal Park to Elisian Fields. The Fields are a hidden valley that seams like a shangrala. Ftom there you can scramble up Crescent and even descend to Windy Pass. the only dicey spot is the gully on OD it is loose scree mixed with choss but the exposure is not bad same for the descent to WP.

Edited by Mal_Con

Thanks both for the excellent suggestions. We are heading in/out to mystic from isput creek trailhead, so burroughs, skyscraper, etc are not possible. I think I will take them up for a scramble of old desolate and across to elisian fields (if the route finding seems straight forward enough). Hopefully the scramble route up old desolate is easily accessible from mystic lake.

At the top of the "pass" from Moraine Park to the valley holding Mystic Lake, turn right onto the climber's trail and ascend the lateral moraine along the north side of the Carbon Glacier for awesome, up-close-and-personal views of the Willis Wall, Liberty Ridge and the rest of the entire north face of Rainier. Well worth it.

At the top of the "pass" from Moraine Park to the valley holding Mystic Lake, turn right onto the climber's trail and ascend the lateral moraine along the north side of the Carbon Glacier for awesome, up-close-and-personal views of the Willis Wall, Liberty Ridge and the rest of the entire north face of Rainier. Well worth it.

Do you mean go up the curtis ridge? Is there a trail which goes up higher on the ridge?

Thanks.

For someone unfamiliar with the area, lower Curtis Ridge offers some excellant views with easier navigation than a trip up Old Desolate/Elysian Fields. If you are looking for more of a "hike," there are way trails to follow on lower Curtis; not so much on OD. If the weather is questionable or visibility poor, be careful because the area can be a bit confusing.

Travel lightly in these areas; they are all sensitive subalpine and alpine areas. If a way trail is present, use it; if no way trail exists, disperse use and try not to follow in anyone else's path to minimize impact.