One Hippy Comments on Nader

assmonkey

Bob Weir, Greateful Dead lead singer, onstage in Florida:

"If just half the Heads in Florida voted in 2000 we wouldn't be in this mess. I can't tell you who to vote for, but don't vote for Nader. I know him and he's an asshole

Heresay, no link.

- a s s m moon.gif n k e y

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Confirmed (sort of):

The Grateful Dead's Bob Weir is pleading with Deadheads everywhere not to vote for Ralph Nader. Performing on Saturday in Boston, Weir told the band's followers to be sure to vote, but the exorted, "Don't vote for Nader. I know him. He's an a--hole," our spies tell us. The band then broke into "Johnny B. Goode," a theme song of the Kerry-Edwards campaign ...

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/218422p-187827c.html

Am I a bad liberal greener if I say that Nader pisses me off? He never gets anything done, just distracts folks from a stronger canidate who actually has a chance. Oh, and Paris Hilton's fuckin' FINE, I make it a point not to read any articles about her, just look at the photos and enjoy some quiet time with my steady girl, Palmela Handerson... smileysex5.gif

MIT professor and political analyst Noam Chomsky and historian Howard Zinn, author of A People's History of the United States, have decided to vote for Nader this November. Both men are from Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry's home state of Massachusetts where Kerry is projected to win. They plan to vote for Nader so their vote will not contribute to Bush and have urged other voters in "safe states" to do the same to ensure Bush does not serve a second term.

"If he decides to run in swing states, he will help elect Bush. That is a serious error, in my opinion," Chomsky told Al-Ahram Weekly. "He could easily avoid this consequence, for example, by exploiting a curiosity of the US constitutional system. People do not vote for the president: they vote for electors. Nader could select Democrat electors in swing states. That would be a way to present his message, as he chooses, but not to contribute to the election of Bush, which would be very harmful to the world in general, and would undermine the prospects for independent politics within the US."

Both Chomsky and Zinn argue that Nader's campaign is necessary to put an end to the Democratic Party's leanings to the right, particularly in regard to the war and occupation of Iraq as well as foreign policy in general. Kerry voted for the October 2002 congressional resolution authorising Bush to invade Iraq. Chomsky and Zinn believe the Nader campaign is needed for voters who want to see an end to what they view as the US military and corporate occupation of Iraq.

"I think Ralph Nader's voice is important, to remind the Democratic Party and John Kerry that their position on the war is wrong," Zinn told the Weekly. "But I think Bush is so dangerous a president that the first priority for progressive, anti-war people is to vote Bush out of office. Therefore, I think we should do what we can to elect Kerry in spite of his shortcomings."

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2004/698/in3.htm

Paris Hilton would look good in one of those "titty curtains" that the hippy girls wear.

Another Chomsky quote, source unknown to me:

"Anyone who says, 'I don't care if Bush gets elected' is basically telling poor and working people in the country, 'I don't care if your lives are destroyed. I don't care if you can have a little money to help your disabled mother. I just don't care because from my elevated point of view, I don't see much difference between [bush and Kerry].'

"That's a way of saying, 'Pay no attention to me because I don't care about you.'

"Apart from its being wrong, it's also a recipe for disaster if you're hoping to ever develop popular movements and a political alternative."