• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
BreezyD

[TR] Mt. Rainier- Disappointment Cleaver 8/1/2004

Climb: Mt. Rainier-Disappointment Cleaver

Date of Climb: 8/1/2004

Trip Report:

3rd time's a charm ...

3 weeks ago, I failed to get up Rainier due to a couple of sick team members. This time, my Dad and I ditched the team and went with just the two of us and summited Sunday morning.

Because of the heat, we opted to get out of camp at Muir at 11:15 p.m. on Saturday and were on the summit at 6:00 a.m. Sunday morning - slowed a bit by a nice brisk headwind the entire way as well as the condition of the cleaver. The views on the summit were stunning, the skies blue, the sun out, albeit a little windy. We descended in 3 hours to Muir in deteriorating conditions from the heat and were glad to get back to the tent and wash the dirt out of our teeth and eyes from the cleaver and gap.

After a 15 minute snooze and a quick bite, we packed up and headed down to the car ... and then to Scale Burger ... where we polished off a couple of Overload burgers and some deep fried miscellany.

Great weekend! Some pictures in my gallery for those interested:

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/plab/showgallery.php?cat=3024&ppuser=5795

Miscellaneous Route Notes:

- Multiple crevasse crossings requiring step-overs and/or jumps.

- Fixed ladder at the base of the cleaver.

- DC melting out quickly making it nice and grindy section of the climb. (Everything melting out quickly for that matter.)

- Upper route in great shape.

Gear Notes:

Standard glacier gear.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

So much for dad's retirement... speaking of which how much slide film did he shoot? And are you gonna post any of his superior photos? hahaha.gifwink.gif

What's next?

Dad relied on me and my digital because he knows that it is far superior to the archaic medium of slide film (she says with a sarchastic smirk).

the_finger.gif

Wow NOLSe .... you just gave me another reason to use the phrase "isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?"

Smartass. wink.gif

Nice job, BD and Dad! Way to come out of "climbing retirement", girl!

One word: skis.

Pandora needs to get some hairstyle advice from you, that's the most neatly-combed hair I've ever seen in a climbing photo. yellaf.gif

We were still in the parking lot! smile.gif

Truth be told ... I just spared you all from the photos of the rat's nest that ensued after three days on the mountain.

Besides ... I've got nothing on Pandora.

Besides ... I've got nothing on Pandora.
I fully believe that you absolutely cannot match Pandora.....

When it comes to eating ice cream. wink.gif

I fully believe that you absolutely cannot match Pandora.....

When it comes to eating ice cream. wink.gif

Yeah, but who can? smirk.gif

Nice Job! Hung in there till you got it! Nice pics and it looks like you had the exact same slot at Muir that we did on June 21st smile.gif see pic attch

380367-RapForFreshSnow62104.thumb.jpg.371d6692871592d6e136bf2de7f2c281.jpg