New Trango Cinch Belay Device

Marc

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anything get a negative review in Climbing?

Not if you pay for an add at the sme time as the review. rolleyes.gif

It's been my experience in the past the worst is the best and the best is the worst when it comes to gear reviews in the mags, not that is the case with this item.I myself am waiting to see if it is as good as the GRIGRI at less weight.

• 2 months later...

These previous two posts are kind of funny.

Duh, obviously Junior needs to learn to pay attention when belaying, but is it better to have him find out the hard way what happens when you don't pay attention, i.e. by having someone crater, or is it better to have the added safety of an auto-locking device there in case something does go amiss?

Frankly, there is, as far as DFA is concerned, zero good argument against the Gri-Gri. There are hypothetical issues with it, but there are just as many concrete potential problems with your standard tube- or slot-style devices. It seems somewhat stubborn to insist on the use of old-school methods when the Gri-Gri has proven itself to be highly reliable, very safe, convenient, and effective, not to mention widely used.

But whatever; they're your rugrats. Just don't let 'em drop each other on DFA's head. shocked.gif

DFA's post is kinda funny too. He seems to think that we are old school and anti-gri-gri. Who is "insisting on old school methods"? I never said that gri-gri's were a bad idea. I got one and use it all the time. I bought mine on a road trip because my belayer had a whopping 2 days experience.

But dr crash, you brought up the fact that you were concerned about your KIDS dropping each other. If you want to see kids climbing, messing things up (with gri-gri also), and falling to the ground, go spend a day at merrymore park. Luckily they got rubber everywhere so only small bones break.

You asked for opinions on the cinch which I don't have any. They look good. I assume you have taught your kids great belaying skills and determined focus. Relying completey on a gri-gri or cinch to keep them safe is as relyable as a CHAD ballot. If there is any question about their belay skills, then they need human backup.

But they are your kids........and you gotta pay the hospital bills or worse.

Kids are kids. My son is very focused and he does belay his friends. I am backing him up now. He has also used a Gri Gri (at VW) and does great with it. Just looking for something lighter. And while I do not think he'll drop anybody, why on earth would I risk it if I can mitigate the issue by spending $60 on a nice device? I know adults who have been dropped by adult belayers 30+ feet. Duh.

drC

DFA's post is kinda funny too. He seems to think that we are old school and anti-gri-gri. Who is "insisting on old school methods"?

Der ... you're talking about using prussik backups. The good Doctor didn't realize that the prussik backup was a recent innovation. The point is that the GriGri obviates the need for such antiquated contrivances.

• 2 weeks later...