ice cubes

Cairns

I seena buncha ice cubes, but none like see below. I expect you're gonna tell me, ya, those are just xxxx, same as you did with the Tree Kangaroo and the Naked Mole Rat, we seenum buncha time, nothing new. I won't believe it unless someone comes up with some really good story, and if I don't believe it the experiment is over and the reality you create for me collapses.

My wife said they were convenient for getting the cubes out of the tray.

1417IceForms1-med.jpg

1417IceForms2-med.jpg

1417IceForms3-med.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

supercooling. causes it. If the water is really clean and your house is really still, its possible for the water to get down below freezing temp without freezing. Without some particle to seed the ice crystals, or some agitation to get freezing started, the water will just get really cold. Someone probably slammed the fridge door, which caused the splash and enough turbulence to make the cubes freeze instanty.

Ice freezes from the outside in, and expands as it freezes, so my theory is that the water in the interior is both supercooled and under pressure, and that the ice-projections form when a minor crack develops in the surface of the cube, at which point the water flows through and freezes into position extremely quickly. The water in the central portion remains liquid, and flows through the core until the projection becomes so narrow that the entire thing freezes solid and the flow stops.

Ice freezes from the outside in, and expands as it freezes, so my theory is that the water in the interior is both supercooled and under pressure, and that the ice-projections form when a minor crack develops in the surface of the cube, at which point the water flows through and freezes into position extremely quickly. The water in the central portion remains liquid, and flows through the core until the projection becomes so narrow that the entire thing freezes solid and the flow stops.

Then why aren't ice cube projections more common?

supercooling. causes it. If the water is really clean and your house is really still, its possible for the water to get down below freezing temp without freezing. Without some particle to seed the ice crystals, or some agitation to get freezing started, the water will just get really cold. Someone probably slammed the fridge door, which caused the splash and enough turbulence to make the cubes freeze instanty.

So you are saying these would be rare in homes where the women are sexually satisfied?

I would have to say that nalo is on the right track. Those shapes are about what you'd expect for a splash. When supercooled water freezes, it does so almost instantly.

I guess the mental center of braininess of cc.com is out for the weekend. TGFG. Thank God For Google.

Search for 'weird ice cubes' or 'ice spikes'.

It doesn't look like these formed instantly.

This is the text accompanying the above link:

Why do ice cubes grow spikes?

The short explanation is this: as the ice freezes fast under supercooled conditions, the surface can get covered except for a small hole. Water expands when it freezes. As freezing continues, the expanding ice under the surface forces the remaining water up through the hole and it freezes around the edge forming a hollow spike. Eventually, the whole thing freezes and the spike is left.

A slightly longer explanation: the form of the ice crystals depends on the cooling rate and hence on the degree of supercooling. Large supercooling favors sheets which rapidly cover the surface, with some sheets hanging down into the water like curtains. These crystalites tend to join at 60 degrees and leave triangular holes in the surface. Hence, spikes often have a triangular base. The sides of the spike are sometimes a continuation of pre-existing subsurface crystalites, and can extend from the surface at steep angles.

1417IceForms3-med.jpg

I find it difficult to believe that the aspiring alpinists on this bulletin board did not immediatley recognize these features as "penitent snow". Obviously, the conditions in your ice box are similar to those necessary for extreme sun cup formulation: dry air, sun and wind. Mass is lost via sublimation on the points and by melting in the hollows (a much faster process). It seems likely that your door switch is malfunctioning so that the light doesn't shut off when the door is closed. I would guess that the fan is constantly running as well. Under these conditions, watch out for freezer burn on your weenies.

B_993CR32-01_Penitentes.jpg

Edited by pope

"The short explanation is this: as the ice freezes fast under supercooled conditions, the surface can get covered except for a small hole. Water expands when it freezes. As freezing continues, the expanding ice under the surface forces the remaining water up through the hole and it freezes around the edge forming a hollow spike. Eventually, the whole thing freezes and the spike is left."

I am the winner:

"ce freezes from the outside in, and expands as it freezes, so my theory is that the water in the interior is both supercooled and under pressure, and that the ice-projections form when a minor crack develops in the surface of the cube, at which point the water flows through and freezes into position extremely quickly. The water in the central portion remains liquid, and flows through the core until the projection becomes so narrow that the entire thing freezes solid and the flow stops."

• 2 weeks later...
I would have to say that nalo is on the right track. Those shapes are about what you'd expect for a splash. When supercooled water freezes, it does so almost instantly.

yellaf.gif and this from cc.com's resident "expert" on physics/chem too! yellaf.gif

Hey, here is an experiment. Put some water in your ice cube tray and wait for it to partially freeze (unfrozen water trapped inside an ice shell). Then get a needle and poke a hole into the free water. Put it back in the freezer.

Thank you for allow ScienceFox to post. Geek_em8.gif

yellaf.gif and this from cc.com's resident "expert" on physics/chem too! yellaf.gif

Hey, here is an experiment. Put some water in your ice cube tray and wait for it to partially freeze (unfrozen water trapped inside an ice shell). Then get a needle and poke a hole into the free water. Put it back in the freezer.

Thank you for allow ScienceFox to post. Geek_em8.gif

And post pictures.

Another hatch:

141710Aug04a-med.jpg

141710Aug04b-med.jpg

141710Aug04c-med.jpg