BC snow/ice alpine routes (fall/early winter?)

Chad_A

Hadn't really looked into climbing up there until recently; a friend left his guidebook here, and I've been entranced ever since.

Some names come to mind; Wedge, Fissle, Garibaldi, Weart(?), and....well, I don't have them all here in my noggin', but, looks like there's some awesomely beautiful climbs up there. Anything in the September/October/November range that would be (+/-) AD range? Thanks for the input. When does stuff in that area become good, or get into shape? Already too late, or something yet to come?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the heat we've been having lately, the transition from snow to ice in the alpine is probably well underway.

Wedge, Fissile, Castle Towers, the NE face of Joffre or the NW face of Matier would be good choices. The 'schrund on Garibaldi is likely gargantuan by now.

Some other possibilities here and here.

best place near vancouver is wedgemount lake. see: http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/threadz/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/271610/page/4/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

in short days from the hut u can do: outlet couloir on rethel, N couloir on parkhurst, slot couloir and/or west couloir on wedge, N face on weart, snowy owl couloir on owls.

some good photos on bivouac.com. search by peak name.

also joffre NE face and/or matier NW face are very fine in autumn. u can search out TRs on cc.com, or check bivouac.com.

the finest autumn alpine ice route in SWBC has got to be the N face on whitecap;

see: http://bivouac.com/MtnPg.asp?MtnId=1041

also CAJ'88 p69.

the access has been messy, but i understand there are some small community-based cuts going on up the valley behind seton portage/shalalth, so the road may be OK again.

beyond that, once u go further north into the "heart" of the coast mtns, there are almost limitless autumn ice routes to do, but it takes a lot of time to ferret them out - start with the CAJ...

cheers,

• 3 weeks later...

Having tried both Whitecap approaches, I would have to say Connel creek is way easier (unless roads have changed in Whitecap creek) - long, but no bushwhacking at all.

(btw, PM me if anyone is interested in heading up there...)

Edited by philfort

I did the NW Couloir of Fissile early last November and it was quite nice. There was ice if you wanted, but it was faster to stick to the snow. The approach we did was a bit of a bitch since much of the scree at the base was exposed and we traversed directly from the hut. Probably best to head right down the valley to the base, then head straight up the scree rather than traverse.

i hope i'm wrong, but i'm dubious of the likely quality of the upcoming indian summer alpine ice. we had a low snow winter, and it's been hot and dry since april. stuff is already way more "burned out" than usual. from polish bob's account of his climb on Joffre, it sounds like the couloirs there are half-gone already (the central couloir was all ice on Oct 1st when i did it a few years back...), and i hear that someone told george at the Climb On shop in Squamish that the N arete on Wedge has very little white left on it. i haven't been on anything local and snowy recently, so it'd be interesting to hear from others...

btw, i'd second dru's suggestions of the paymaster and plutocrat - both are superb, moderate, attractive, and the approaches are both short and beautiful (altho the drive is long). do 'em both on a 3-day weekend! u can probably search them up on this site, or check out bivouac.com (lotsa photos!):

http://bivouac.com/MtnPg.asp?MtnId=6250

http://bivouac.com/MtnPg.asp?MtnId=6249

cheers,

Did the NW couloir on Mt. Fissle 3 weeks. It was scree for the first 1/4 then decent snow after that. Had to go around to the west side for a little rock finish to the top. Used the west ridge for decent. Jumped off early to practice self arrest on the steep but safe runout snow slopes. 3 hrs. up 1 1/2 down. 14 km approach sucks tho. Would be nice to ski in during the winter and hit Mt. Fitzsimmons as well since ur there.

Wedge Mt. is good anytime and awesome in the winter.

• 1 year later...

Not Whitecap, but some autumn ice info:

*Wedge area couloirs were almost completely melted out by the first week of August. New snow then freeze seems necessary.

*Joffre Central Couloir looked wonderful on Monday as seen from Hurley Silver Mine area. Not thin at all. I'll try to post a photo . . .

Does Connell Creek get you close to the North Face?

No, it takes you to the south side. But you could camp in the West Col, and access the N side from there.

Are you back in town Tyler?

Anyone know... has NF of Whitecap been skied? Don't they have heli-skiing around there? (Maybe it gets skied all the time...)

Thanks for the photo jordop! I´m on my way home and already getting stoked for some fall alpine ice.

I´m in Sao Paulo right now but I´ll hopefully give a Rio TR soon enough if I can find a cool partner. I had a scary encounter with the policia narcotica at the La Paz airport which probably deserves a TR in itself. I guess they get suspicious when you jump too many borders. ooo.gif Yikes!

Almost back in good old Canada! bigdrink.gif

Anyone know... has NF of Whitecap been skied? Don't they have heli-skiing around there? (Maybe it gets skied all the time...)

done long ago by the late great Trevor Peterson and co. and in totally proper style too: they climbed the face first, then skied it.

cheers,