Mountain medicine

Blakej

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Colin Grissom would be a great person to contact. He worked for the National Park Service on Denali for 10 years or so while going through college, medical school and his residency at the University of Washington. He did a fellowship in pulmonary and critical care medicine and has been doing research in avalanche victim physiology for the last several years. I know several people he has buried with an Avalung (I declined after hearing the stories of uncontrolled shivering and claustrophobia). He's also done research into HAPE. He works at LDS Hospital in Salt Lake City where he works as a critical care doctor and does his research. He was also one of the major organizers for the medical facilities during the Salt Lake City Winter Olympics. On top of that he is also on the academic staff and frequently teaches house staff, medical students and pulmonary fellows.

If you are interested in pursuing any of these endeavors, he's the one to talk with. Call LDS Hospital at 801-408-1100 to get in touch with him.

Norman Clyde,

What would be a good way to get intouch with Brownie Schoene. I need to find out the possibilitys of working as a PA specializing in Mountain Medicine, a PA role I haven't heard of yet. I'll be trying to get in to UW's program soon and local contacts would be a great resource. Thanks too everyone else for you info also.

You could probably call the UW main number and ask to be connected to the dept. of pulmonary medicine. As this is an academic medical center, the departments have clinics but also offices not devoted directly to patient care. There should be a receptionist who can tell you how to connect with him. (I don't know him personally, and have no idea if he will welcome this attention or not; but this is how I proceed if I need to reach someone in the system.)