expedition planning

letsroll

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as you have solid snowcamping, navigation, and crevasse rescue skills, organizing your own trip is great.

RJ Secor and Colby Coombs both have written good Denali guidebooks. Beckey's 'Mount McKinley' is a great read too.

Just search on this site too...I posted a shitload of questions when organzing a trip to Denali last summer.

The NOLS Cookery book is another good resource for your meal planning.

I've got a pretty good excel spreadsheet for organizing gear and food that I'd be happy to pass along, send me a PM if you want it.

For a backpack, just get the biggest, most comfortable one you can get, try to find one with the burliest suspension with a minimum of bells and whistles.

Mountaineers have published a new book with the title "Expedition Planning."

I'm not sure there's much that would be applicable. It's a pretty crappy book IMHO - I'm planning some long distance trips and it didn't tell me anything I didn't know (which doesn't say much!) Check your local library for a copy before you invest.

• 4 weeks later...

After climbing Denali, my beta is:

Go late in the season and don't bring hardly any fuel or food. Instead, people will be giving it away left and right on their mad dash back to KIA. Also, bring a carton of Cigarettes- you'll be able to use them to barter with to all the Euros and you'll get tons of food and gear. One friend traded and got an altimeter watch for about $20 worth of goods. Don't laugh- this beta will work and cut WAY down on your pack size and weight. Also- bring skis.

After climbing Denali, my beta is:

Go late in the season and don't bring hardly any fuel or food. Instead, people will be giving it away left and right on their mad dash back to KIA. Also, bring a carton of Cigarettes- you'll be able to use them to barter with to all the Euros and you'll get tons of food and gear. One friend traded and got an altimeter watch for about $20 worth of goods. Don't laugh- this beta will work and cut WAY down on your pack size and weight. Also- bring skis.

I went in late May and still could have taken half or less of what I had. Any time in June and you can count on doing people the favor of taking their extra weight.

You will get tons of gas, cookables, and 2nd rate munchies. Bring your own chocolate and booze.

If you rely on getting free food on the way, remember that you are getting the stuff they didn't want to eat to that point. Bring good strong spices to make whatever you get palatable or at least edible. Bring big piles of cous cous in case you can't score free food. Would suck to fail cause you didn't feed yourself well enough.