Sierra National Forest/Kings Canyon - need advise- 8/25/2004

neswstar

Climb: Sierra National Forest/Kings Canyon - need advise-

Date of Climb: 8/25/2004

Have a business trip down this way - looking to extend it and go play someplace new. Looking for real low level alpine rock (below 5.6), something to TR, or just some fun stuff to scrample up. Have about 4 days - Any recommendations? Any reading material advise?

Thank you for the help.

edited by chuck to remove "TR" designation

Edited by chucK

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no worries.

I would go up to Tuolumne Meadows and hit a bunch of climbs every day. Rather then spend 4 days hiking in and out from 1 climb. But the High Sierras rock, plenty to do. Have you seen the High Sierra Supertopo book on Supertopo.com? It has some Ultra Classics in it.

It is another good web site to post this question, because alot of Sierra climbers hang out there...

I would go up to Tuolumne Meadows and hit a bunch of climbs every day. Rather then spend 4 days hiking in and out from 1 climb. But the High Sierras rock, plenty to do.

Darling Lambone-

There is more to climbing in California than Yosemite. Needles (Kernville area), Domeland Wilderness, and definitely stuff within and hour or two of the road in Kings Canyon/Sequoia. Check out Southern Sierra Rock Climbing: Sequoia/Kings Canyon by Vernon/Moser/Hickey

Been to Tuolumne - it's great, but the transportation thing just isn't working to get there this time. So, I'm thinking it's time to check out a new area and leave Tuolumne for a return adventure.

I've ordered the book - thank you. Still trying to put all the pieces together. Sounds like we just can't show up - that we will need permits. Thinking about the sixty lakes basin ( love to swim). Is it nice? How is the rock? Bugs? Bears?

Any recommendations off of Route 180 or 198?

• 4 weeks later...

Wow - what a trip. didn't climb much but this area is beautiful, and I learned a ton. There were deep deep canyons, waterfalls, sunny days, sticky rock, bogs, smart bears, cairnes to nowhere, crystal clear mountain lakes (great for dipping), endless mountains, minimal bugs, deer, bats and a moon so bright we called it natures light bulb.

First day was a late start from Roads End into Charollote campground. Second day, off trail, up Charlotte Dome, over Gardiner pass and we camped on the side of one of the many lakes in that basin. Third day, we drooled over Mt Clarence, and made the call to come back with a bigger time window. Made it up and over the north ridge of Cotter, into to sixty lakes basin in time to watch the sunset on Fin, dinner by moonlight reflecting off the lake. Forth day we took the trail and went over the pass and out to Roads End with a quick dip in Charlotte creek at lunch to cool off. A magical trip to a magical place with a vow to return, who could ask for more.