The Stupidest Thing You've Ever Heard Climbing

layton

quote:

Originally posted by gschryer2:

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

And my favorite, US/Canada question: (Sorry, not climbing related, but Dru inspired me.

American: Do you guys drive on the other side of the road in Canada?

Me (Canadian living in States): Yeah, you should see the giant lane interchanges at all the border crossings!

Speaking of Canada and guns .... [Eek!]

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"is the rope supposed to go thru this way?"

Young lady top ropeing a 5.9 sport route off of a single QD with the rope twisted through the biner which is attached to a single bolt mid-pitch. [Confused]

Dude on the next route over, is belaying his "sick bro" (who outweighs him by 50lbs)while laying in the shade of a tree about 20' away from the base of his pitch, looks over and says to young lady "nah, it shouldn't have that twist in it" Meanwhile, his bro who is on his first lead ever, is struggling toward the last bolt. [Frown]

All fall silent as the Young lady calmly unclips from the QD (40' of air under her heels) takes the twist out, clips back in and says "dirt me" [Roll Eyes]

Right about that time the leader of the other party takes a whipper about 10' above his last bolt while his belayer is gaping at the boldnes of the young lady, he is suddenly jerked into the air while his partner plummets twoard the slab below. [rockband]

Belayer miraculously gets it under control, and stops his partner's rapid descent no more than 12" from the slab and certain death or at least big ass scars. [Eek!]

The leader regained his senses and stood up on the slab, looked up at the bolt that held him (30' above) and says "Sheeeyat, now I gotta re-climb all that, man" [Mad]

Not climbing related, this is second hand from a tour bus driver in Glacier NP, MT re: stupidest questions he's been asked:

Q: How many undiscovered lakes are there in the Park.

A: We've found all but 6 of them.

Q: At what elevation do deer turn into elk?

A: About 6,000'.

Tourons, you gotta love 'em.

Descending from the summit of Mt. Adams, probably around 12,000 feet, on a busy weekend with about 30 people on the summit in plain view directly behind me. Shuffling across the relatively flat snow in my direction is a guy in blue jeans, flannel shirt and tennis shoes, carrying a giant walking stick, and looking like he's about to collapse.

Guy: (pant,pant) Excuse me... (pant, pant) can you tell me how far it is to the summit?

Me: Umm... (not sure if he's joking)... that's it right there...(pointing over my shoulder at the huge and obvious summit plateau).

Guy: thank god!! (he then starts running toward the summit, almost falling over as he slides around in his tennis shoes)

[Eek!]

• 1 month later...

THis borders on stupid, funny, and even a bit sad...

yesterday as we were getting ready to rapp down a route we had a family gawking at us...saying many funny/annoying things, which we basically ignored (ie/"hope you all get down in one piece"). Then the little 8 yr old boy says, "But how is the GIRL going to get down?" [Confused]

[laf]

A rope team of Germans on the Breithorn asked us, right after we jumped over a large crevasse, "what are those"? We replied "what are what"? We finally found out what they were asking about, they were asking about our pickets. We explained to them what they were and they said why use those, we just call in a helicopter......

[Confused][Wazzup][HORSECOCK]