[TR] Forbidden Solo- Up the West Ridge, Down the East Ridge 7/25/2004

specialed

Climb: Forbidden Solo-Up the West Ridge, Down the East Ridge

Date of Climb: 7/25/2004

Trip Report:

Went to Boston Basin area on Sunday. Saw some big fucking snaffle Badgers who charged me, had to beat them back with my AK (X-15).

Ate some mushsmile.gif and soon I could see the glacier moving. Managed to put my ghetto old school crampons on and got caught in the momentum. Current was running up the West Ridge and down the East Ridge. Saw a lot of people and had some nice chats.

Was defenitly a 50 Crowded Classic. Good rock on the West Ridge, all clean from traffic. Seems like most people climb the shitty terraces on the east ridge instead of staying on the ridge proper, which is way better.

Went quicker than I thought, should have motivated for the whole Torment Forbidden Traverse. Chilled at the summit for an hour ... nice breeze, perfect temp. It was all quite casual.

Gear Notes:

windshirt,

small axe,

shitty SMC crampons that I need to throw away, handfull of ... , shades

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have some what of an altered recollection of that part of the route. However, W Ridge of Forbidden is always climbable. Even if snow is in pretty late season condition, one can always go around it on easy if chossy rock to the left.

I don't remember it being such a big deal though. If you put some strap-on crampons on your sneakers and have an axe you will be able to climb it easy.

Have fun. wave.gif

What was the condition of the 'schrund / gully? Is it still passable. Would like to do route in a day and am guessing that having snow all the way to the top makes things a lot faster. Any other conditions info would be greatly appreciated.

SpecialEd was in "Bat Country" so i wouldn't rely on his beta. Poor bastard'll see em soon enough. mushsmile.gif

The schrund was still passable on Sat although the snow bridge was getting very thin - it probably won't be around much longer. You can climb halfway up the snow gully until you're stopped by a vertical section where the lower gully sank about 8 feet. Unless this turns to ice and you can lead over it, you have to climb onto easy but chossy rock on the left to bypass it.