Climb: Old Desolate-South face(hang dog ally) [FA]

Date of Climb: 7/24/2004

Trip Report:

The black denotes scree sloggin'

blue is 3rd class polished andesite that is continous and very solid

magenta is 4th class

Red is as Alan Kearney would say "5th ish" slab climbing

The magenta is 4th to the top with bush pulling

I haven't heard or seen any other reports of this huge slab ever being climbed. Anyway you cut it, it is a fun route that allowed me to find deep mental focus. There are no cracks, so it must be free-soloed. I also found that rock shoes didn't work due to grit on the slabs.

The approach is either via itsup creek(8 miles), or sunrise(8 miles) to Mystic lake. From Mystic lake this 1300 ft face is facing you(south). From the route views are bountiful to the nearby willis wall and liberty ridge.

Also note that there is a more sustained, and probably more technical line to the left(west), that I assume hasn't been done either.

Hang Dog Ally

Grade: II, low 5th slab, no protection

(there are more pics in the gallery of different angles)3539desolate_007-med.JPG

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
skyclimb, do you know if there is a regular trail which goes to the top of old desolate?

There is no trail, but several ways to get to the top. I was just out there this Labor Day weekend, we went right up the South rib off the Wonderland Trail (after scrambling Mineral), stayed a bit to the right until we got to the ridge proper, then ran the ridge staying on or just to the West of the ridge all the way to the summit, the ridge is a boulder hop, very nice views. Register has few names. You can also start up the valley to the West of the ridge, run up the valley as far as you can, then up the scree field to the summit. smile.gif Good option is to continue on North to Vernal Park, then up the Crescent/Sluiskin col, down to Windy Gap and out the Northern Loop trail.