Somehow, it happened yet again in Salem...

gslater

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the article:

Just before that, Sullivan witnessed the death of an elderly woman as she was struck by a freight train at Market Street. "I watched a lady on Market, I was sitting on my bike when she ran for the train. And if she wouldn't have stopped to see if she had time, she would have got across."

WTF? Why would you do that?

Some tool at the Mariners game got himself clipped by a frieght train last night, so I guess it isn't just Salem.

True, it isn't happening just in Salem. I can't forget: Up until about two years ago, my favorite ground for a regular jog stretched around Meadow Point from Golden Gardens to Carkeek Park and back. When the tide covered the beach to the sea wall, I'd run beside the tracks.

One day when I was running southbound, I watched a fast and quiet northbound commuter round the corner at Meadow Point and roll over a woman who was walking toward me with her back to the train. I retrieved her bank and identification cards from the bushes to where those pieces were disbursed like feathers.

Friends of the woman were hysterical over her sudden death, but one observed that he wouldn't have expected the train to have been travelling northbound on the left track, as if parallel sets of train tracks are somehow configured like highways into left and right lanes.

mCrux