Stupid Atkins Ad

Double_E

anyone seen that ad for some kind of Atkins low-carb-energy-bar or something where there's this guy doing a big-wall climb and there's a full salad bar anchored into the wall?

the caption goes something like "Atkins.. because you can never find this [salad bar] here [big wall]."

that's gotta be one of the most retarded ads for any product I've ever seen. because let's face it, for climbers or other athletes who do sports which burn 1000s upon 1000s of calories, or, for that matter, for anyone who does ANYthing with their free time besides watch teevee, carbs are (HELLO!) not something to be worried about.

rolleyes.gif

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when I was growing up, the big thing back then was something called the "Balanced" diet. Everybody - and I mean EVERYBODY - was on it. It was hugely popular, and seemed to work pretty well for most people, but it seems to have fallen out of favour lately. In fact, no-one even mentions it any more. I can't remember the last time I saw a magazine cover with some celebrity extolling the virtues of the "Balanced" diet, or a best-selling book or even an Oprah episode about it. I guess that fad just ran its course, like all the others.

I think climbers actually started the Atkin's diet WAY before it got popular. A lot of the men I have climbed with have nothing but meat products in their backpack on climbs. Since I am a vegetarian, the Atkin's is not an option. Also ensured my climbing partners that I would NEVER covet their snacks and meals.

You are right, the ad is incredibly stupid and horrible PhotoShop work as well!!!!

What I crave after a long weekend of climbing - a salad with blue cheese dressing, Black Butte Porter, and french fries!!!!!

bigdrink.gif

The fad will be over soon. American are good for up to a couple of year on the latest diet fad, this too shall go to the way side.

Nah, all the "healthy" skinny people are just gonna die off in about 5 years, so only the smart people who actually eat to get, um, that nutrition thingy and excercise will be left. Nature works in mysterious ways snaf.gif

I think the climbing thing to only eat meat may have been for calories sake? Horsecock, for example, has tons of fat and thus calories.

It's stupid tho...carbs are most efficiently converted into energy. A climber not eating carbs is just...well...dumb, IMHO.

Fatkins apparently does cause some short term weight loss in fatasses but you sacrifice overall health. I mean seriously, eggs, bacon and red meat all the time?? pitty.gif

I am convinced the only reason the fatkins diet "works" is because it is easy to stick to. Who couldn't just eat fat and protein all the time? It tastes better than restricting calories or another sensible method.

When I was in Ireland a few weeks ago I didn't see a single mention of Fatkins anywhere, as opposed to ten times daily here. Europeans actually walk places, that's the difference.