PATRIOT ACT

sailBOI

I have been seeing lots of condemnation of the Patriot Act, and blame is focussed on Ashcroft and Bush.

I have previously posted that there was wide bipartisan support for these measures when this was enacted.

In the event that you are of the opinion that we need to abolish the Patriot Act, you really owe it to yourself and all of us to take the time to read this shocking account :

TERROR IN THE SKY

TERROR IN THE SKY 2

How many will become the next victims of Political Correctness ?

hellno3d.gif

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bi-partisan support does not mean it was the right thing to do.

If everyone agreed to steal your car, would that mean it was right?

If the Republicans voted with the Democrats to suspend what little remains of your civil liberties, would you lie back and say "Oh, well, at least it had bipartisan support"?

Bi-partisan support does not mean it was the right thing to do.

If everyone agreed to steal your car, would that mean it was right?

If the Republicans voted with the Democrats to suspend what little remains of your civil liberties, would you lie back and say "Oh, well, at least it had bipartisan support"?

I would agree with that, we should always be cautious, but I saw the other day that Sen. Dianne Feinstein said she has not heard reports of abuse of the Patriot Act.....did you read these lengthy articles I linked above?

Sen. Dianne Feinstein said she has not heard reports of abuse of the Patriot Act

From the ACLU website:

"without a warrant and without probable cause, the FBI now has the power to access your most private medical records, your library records, and your student records... and can prevent anyone from telling you it was done."

Perhaps the Patriot Act has been used (abused) and no one knows about it? I don't think it's OK for Intelligence agencies to have this kind of power. I like my rights. I like my privacy. I think the government had the power to investigate and prosecute organized crime/"terrorism" before this legislation was passed and I think it only passed because of the climate of fear and knee-jerk protectionist "Patriotism" following 911.

Grassroots opposition to the USA Patriot Act

State of Alaska

Anchorage

Bethel

Fairbanks

Gustavus

Homer

Juneau

Kenai

North Pole

Skagway

Sitka

Soldotna

Arizona

Bisbee

Flagstaff

Jerome

Pima County

Tucson

California

Albany

Arcata

Berkeley

Claremont

Contra Costa County

Cotati

Davis

Duarte

Dublin

EI Cerrito

Emeryville

Fairfax

Hayward

Lake County

Livermore

Los Angeles

Los Gatos

Marin County

Mendocino County

Mill Valley

Mountain View

Oakland

Pacific Grove

Palo Alto

Pinole

Pleasanton

Point Arena

Porterville

Richmond

Sacramento

Salinas

San Anselmo

San Francisco

San Jose

San Rafael

San Ramon

Santa Barbara

Santa Clara

Santa Cruz County

Santa Cruz

Santa Monica

Saratoga

Sausalito

Sebastopol

Soledad

Sonoma

South Pasadena

Tehama County

Ukiah

Union City

Watsonville

West Hollywood

Yolo County

Colorado

Boulder

Crestone

Denver

Durango

Fort Collins

Ridgway

San Miguel County

Telluride

Ward

Connecticut

Bethany

Hartford

Mansfield

New Haven

Delaware

Arden

Newark

Wilmington

Florida

Alachua County

Broward County

Sarasota

Georgia

Atlanta

State of Hawaii

Honolulu

Idaho

Boise

Idaho County

Illinois

Carbondale

Chicago

Evanston

Glencoe

Oak Park

Indiana

Bloomington

Maine

Waterville

Maryland

Baltimore

Greenbelt

Montgomery Cty

Prince George's County

Takoma Park

Massachusetts

Amherst

Arlington

Ashfield

Brewster

Brookline

Greenburgh

Ithaca

Town of New Paltz

Village of New Paltz

New York

North Hempstead

Nyack

Rosendale

Schenectady

Schuyler County

St. Lawrence Cty

Syracuse

Urbana

Woodstock

North Carolina

Carrboro

Chapel Hill

Davidson

Durham County

Durham

Greensboro

Orange County

Ohio

Cleveland Heights

Oberlin

Oxford

Toledo

Yellow Springs

Oregon

Ashland

Astoria

Benton County

Corvallis

Douglas County

Eugene

Gaston

Lane County

Portland

Port Orford

Talent

Pennsylvania

Lansdowne

Philadelphia

Reading

Wilkinsburg

York

Rhode Island

Charlestown

Middletown

New Shoreham

North Providence

Providence

South Kingstown

Tennessee

Blount County

Texas

Austin

Sunset Valley

Utah

Castle Valley

State of Vermont

Athens

Brattleboro

Burlington

Dummerston

Guilford

Jamaica

Marlboro

Montpelier

Newfane

Putney

Rockingham

Warren

Westminster

Waitsfield

Windham

Virginia

Alexandria

Charlottesville

Washington

Bainbridge Island

Bellingham

Clallam County

Jefferson County

King County

Olympia

Oroville

Port Townsend

Riverside

San Juan County

Seattle

Snoqualmie

Tacoma

Tonasket

Twisp

Vashon-Maury Island

West Virginia

Huntington

Wisconsin

Douglas County

Madison

Wyoming

Fremont County

I have been seeing lots of condemnation of the Patriot Act, and blame is focussed on Ashcroft and Bush.

I have previously posted that there was wide bipartisan support for these measures when this was enacted.

In the event that you are of the opinion that we need to abolish the Patriot Act, you really owe it to yourself and all of us to take the time to read this shocking account :

TERROR IN THE SKY

TERROR IN THE SKY 2

How many will become the next victims of Political Correctness ?

hellno3d.gif

Go die you little troll.They want to take away my freedom and you defend it?If I ever meet you I have A urine sample Id like you to analize. mad.gif

I would agree with that, we should always be cautious, but I saw the other day that Sen. Dianne Feinstein said she has not heard reports of abuse of the Patriot Act.....did you read these lengthy articles I linked above?

Feinstein said her office has never received a complaint of Patriot Act abuse. Documentable and verifiable.

As for your terror in the sky crap - you wear a white sheet on the weekends?

Brandon Mayfield, Portland area lawyer detained, then released

Seattle photography student harrassed. (click on B&W photo at link)

FBI harrassment continues, artist faces 20 year charges

Feds Seek Anthrax Suit Dismissal, suit filed by Dr. Steven J. Hatfill a bioterrorism expert, accused of anthrax letters

There's probably more out there. What was it that Benjamin Franklin said? "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"The means of defense against foreign danger historically have become the instruments of tyranny at home."

-- James Madison

"It is the first responsibliity of every citizen to question authority."

-- Benjamin Franklin

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."

-- Theodore Roosevelt, 26th President of the United States (1901-1909), speaking in 1918

What was it that Benjamin Franklin said? "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"The means of defense against foreign danger historically have become the instruments of tyranny at home."

-- James Madison

"It is the first responsibliity of every citizen to question authority."

-- Benjamin Franklin

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."

-- Theodore Roosevelt, 26th President of the United States (1901-1909), speaking in 1918

thumbs_up.gif

sailor dude, how can you generalize against all democrats by saying some oppose the patriot act? Out here in Idaho, I deal with right wing crazys like you on a daily basis (unless I visit Moscow). Its Republicans that oppose the patriot act here, like senator Craig, Butch Otter (a nnodder), Gov Kempthorne, and your buddy Randy Weaver. They all oppose it because of our loss of freedoms. Do you really think we need the patriot act, or is it possible we already had the laws needed to keep our country safe, and it was in effect just incompetence by our gov. agencies? And do you feel safer with Tom Ridge sitting behind a shiny new desk in DC???

sailor dude, how can you generalize against all democrats by saying some oppose the patriot act? Out here in Idaho, I deal with right wing crazys like you on a daily basis (unless I visit Moscow). Its Republicans that oppose the patriot act here, like senator Craig, Butch Otter (a nnodder), Gov Kempthorne, and your buddy Randy Weaver. They all oppose it because of our loss of freedoms. Do you really think we need the patriot act, or is it possible we already had the laws needed to keep our country safe, and it was in effect just incompetence by our gov. agencies? And do you feel safer with Tom Ridge sitting behind a shiny new desk in DC???

I don't think I have said anything about Democrats, but if you want to talk Democrats.....Kerry supported the Patriot Act, voted for it and now want parts of it strengthened.

Islamic radicals are using Western civil liberties as a weapon, here and in Europe. Do I like the Patriot Act, NO !!!! Do I think it necessary, YES , unfortunately. Where do you get off branding me a Right Wing loonie, when I post a story from the WSJ ??

There is entirely too much personal affront going on in this forum to allow a balanced debate.... cantfocus.gif

The Patriot Act was pushed through in a hurry while the public was still in a panic about 9-11. To oppose it would have been political suicide. It was a case of "we need to do something, NOW!". Now that we have calmed down a little it is time to reexamine the provisions of the Act. I believe that some provisions should be repealed and others preserved. I don't think anyone is advocating a wholesale repeal of the entire act.

Where do you get off branding me a Right Wing loonie, when I post a story from the WSJ ??

Your enough of loon to not realize the WSJ is by far the most right of any major newspaper.....

OK, business is right wing, NY Times is neutral, right? But why are you branding me, what does that have to do with the debate at hand ?? I am actually a Libertarian, and believe in minimal government, so did our founding fathers. It is a little known fact however, that these gentleman founded the US Navy in order to deal with Islamic insurgents, the Barbary Pirates :

USA deals with Islamics in the early days

wink.gif

I find it amusing that the same crew who passionately advocate on behalf of hate crime laws are up in arms about the Patriot Act. When the government adds an additional penalty for the beliefs that motivated a violent act rather than administering the same punishment for the same acts of violence irrespective of the motivation for the said acts, the government has effectively determined which beliefs are acceptable and which are not.

Sailboi makes a good point about Democrats supporting the Patriot Act. The Dems—including Kerry and Edwards—were cravenly afraid to stand up against the paranoid infringement on civil liberties (such as the ability to search library records) that the Patriot Act represents. This is not to say that all aspects of the Patriot Act are evil. Certainly, the provisions that allow greater sharing of information among intelligence services are unexceptionable. However, there were no legal obstacles to that sharing before, only some bureaucratic customs.

The episode regarding the plane flight, on the other hand, is a bizarre example of how some people’s paranoia can run rampant. To summarize: 1) Some individuals of Middle Eastern extraction got on an airplane. 2) Their behavior was odd, although not threatening or hostile. 3) The plane landed without incident.

What should have been done? Should those passengers have been taken off the plane? Should they have been arrested after the plane landed? If they are foreign nationals, should they be deported? Sent to Guantanamo? Abu Ghraib?

It was speculated that those passengers may have been rehearsing for a 9/11-type hijacking. Really? How would you know? Do you think that just maybe, any Al Qaeda operatives would be smart enough not to try the same exact thing twice? Do you think that after 9/11, any plane full of passengers and crew would respond a little bit differently than before 9/11?

If you want to defend the Patriot Act, defend it on its merits, rather than by citing the fevered product of somebody’s imagination.