Broken Rib Prognosis?

Necronomicon

My prognosis is to immediatly go do some wet alpine climbing in the rain (you really need to focus on selecting an area with substantial doses of rock or icefall like willis wall or j'berg)

Follow up with long routes of hard aid climbing and a few pitches of shimeying up some chimneys and OW.

After a by the end of the week, you will have forgotten your sore rib you whiner! [Wazzup]

[ 08-05-2002, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Ben Krazy ]

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I broke one last December, and boy, do I feel your pain!! My doc said no climbing for six solid weeks, and he said climbing was pretty much the worst thing in the world for it. You want to have a nagging injury? Jump back in after a couple of weeks. These things need some serious rest time. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but them's the facts as I know them.

If it makes you feel any better, I was out on Lake Washington Friday night, in stiff wind and tons of hydroplane CHOP, and moving back from foredeck to helm, passing over a winch handle, we hit some of that CHOP, and it tossed me onto the protruding handle, bruising the beejezus out of my tailbone. Now it's a commonly known fact that I am a clutz, but this little sailing impalement, well, even I wouldn't have predicted that could happen! It doesn't actually hurt that much though, unless of course I move. Or breathe.

Someday I hope to form my own boutique insurance company for clutzy people like myself!

[ 08-05-2002, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: allison ]

I broke a rib sailing (of all activities!!), and did some associative intercostal muscle and cartilidge damage. Does anyone have any experience with this type of injury? Obviously, my main concern is when I'll be able to climb again. What are your thoughts on how long this type of injury may take to heal?

-J

I broke two ribs in mid August of last year and still got some climbing in before the beginning of Fall (approximately 3 weeks after the injury). From 4 to about 7 weeks it was still difficult to breathe deeply and sneeze/yawn, etc. I'd say expect at least 3 weeks to recover enough to be able to climb (with pain). Good luck.

[ 08-05-2002, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: MountainMan ]