8k trip buddies

007_dup1

I'm arrogant yet spineless. I would lose my ass if it weren't attached to me. I'm generally inconsiderate of others' needs. In fact, I'm a dirty, lying, thieving snaf.gif bastard. I feel my qualifications make me probably the worst choice for any position in the team, so please consider me.

Do I need an ice pick for this climb?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Most of my experience has been paying not to climb, as in, buying fancy gear and supplies, making a heinous approach and then not climbing anything. I can guarantee I will not climb although paying may be negotiable.

Can you make an exception if I pay with cash not to climb? Or is not paying an expedition requirement? Maybe 007 will not pay to climb, but I will pay not to climb, Sam I am.

007 where did you come up with these absurdities?!! 8M in 3three weeks?!!. General rule of thumb below 10k ft takes 1 day to acclimatize to the alt. Suppose you could gain 5-6 days acclimatization by sleeping in an 02 depravation chamber. Have you ever been above 20k ft?? do you have ANY IDEA how your body functions at that ALT?? By your lack of concern and your utterly ignorant responses I will have to say NO. Granted I have never been to 8KM but I have been at 20K Ft and you have the brain a vastly reduced brain capacity. Additionally some people just don’t have the right genetic makeup to EVER go above 20K. Earlier you asked “what kinda training can you do for 8MK” simple run a friggin marathon. Yea! If you don’t have the cardio pulmonary system to do that your heart and lungs will never get you above 20k. Sure you could be there but to think and figure stuff out NEVER HAPPEN you will be another statistic (dead). If you think you can do it no prob pack you stuff up right now and spent 3-4 days on the top of MT Rainier w/o coming down. I could go on for 3-4 hours why this “plan” you have schemed is so idiotic. Well there’s 10min of my life I will never get back.

I don't know that Don Whillans could have run a marathon, or would have wanted to for that matter, but he was quite hard at altitude.

You should train by putting a plactic shopping bag over your head, and securing it around your neck with a rubber band, then rip it all off just before you pass out completely, if you can. Climbing 8000m peaks is like trying to kill yourself, and stopping just before you die, or dying regardless.

Have fun!! Your colleagues at the cubicle farm will be quite impressed!!

with regard to permits:

A climbing permit to scale the Himalayas in Nepal is issued by the Mountaineering Section of the Ministry of Tourism.

The Tibetan government has opened 326 peaks for climbing. It is waiving royalty for several peaks but requires a liaison officer for peaks above 6500 meters. Visa is $50 in San Francisco!

Obtaing a liaison officer for Cho Oyu has royalties around $2,500USD for a small capable group.

From Katmandu we will enter China through Zhangmu driving through Nyalam and Tingri to the Chinese Base Camp.

The Pay to Climb companies probably don't want climbers to be informed about how easy this is!

On a related note, I am putting together a climb up the N. Norwegian Buttress of Mt. Index, partners are needed. I have no aid gear but have walked around the Rainbow store parking lot in Monroe very much which is excellent training for hard aid climbing. My other training consists of sitting at a desk reading stories about climbing and posting crap on this website.

Interested partners keep posting on this thread.

I once saw aid climbers on El Capitan. I am sure we can hire porters at the Index store for $25 per day. I believe we can acclimatize on Mt Si, and climb the NNB in 1.5 days.

To all the detractors and naysayers who believe it is not possible to climb this jewel without PAYING TO CLIMB, I only say this:

....................../´¯/)

....................,/.¯./

..................../..../

.................../..../

................../..../

................./..../

............/´¯ '...'/´¯¯`•¸

........./'/.../..../......./¨¯\

........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')

.........\.................'...../

..........''...\.......... _.•´

............\..............(

..............\.............\...

...............\.............\...

I also found a rusty AA battery on slipstream last winter. call to identify.

Hey, that must be mine! I've been going headlampless since that summer I climbed Slipstream. It was in good "nick", as they say, that August--don't believe the naysayers who are always trying to give you bad advice about climbing conditions there.

There's no way I'm paying to see at night, so I'm glad you found my battery. You can just give it to me when we meet up in Boulder to start our acclimitudination training for Cho Oyeah... you're still in, right?

Cho Oyeah... you're still in, right?

Cho Oyeah? O yeah. I too have been going headtorchless through a steady diet of whipped carrots. While my eyes now glow in the dark it has done nothing for my skin complexion. And I will return your AA battery WHICH I FOUND ON SLIPSTREAM.