8k trip buddies

007_dup1

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good morning, does anyone have 1st hand experience with 8000m altitude acclimatization and time tables?

Yeah, I've done it quite a lot. It's really quite simple. Go to your local international airport, buy a ticket, board the plane, have a few complimentary drinks, and once the plane gets to cruising altitude, you've effectively acclimatized to 8,000 meters.

Shouldn't take more than an hour or two once you take off! yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

Good morning, does anyone have 1st hand experience with 8000m altitude acclimatization and time tables?

Yeah, I've done it quite a lot. It's really quite simple. Go to your local international airport, buy a ticket, board the plane, have a few complimentary drinks, and once the plane gets to cruising altitude, you've effectively acclimatized to 8,000 meters.

Shouldn't take more than an hour or two once you take off! yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

Actually, "At a 39,000 foot cruise altitude, the cabin pressure is equivalent to 6,900 feet or pressure of 11.5 psi (about) 450 feet less than Mexico City. reference here

Good evening, I do not have any experience with 8000m altitude acclimatization, but I can tell you all about time tables. Generally, you read them left to right or top to bottom. For instance, my bus time table requires you to read right to left to determine which were the bus stop location is, and top to bottom to determine what time the bus will be there. Here is an example. Now not all time tables are like this. Sometimes they reverse the up/down left/right bit, and sometimes they do other tricky stuff. Here is an example of when they get tricky. As you can see, there is a lot of information here. Not only height in meters and feet, but also laid out by date and time. After you spend a little bit of time, however, you'll find that time tables are a piece of cake, and you'll be sending 8000m peaks with your eyes shut. Good luck!

Clueless, you're baaack! grin.gifwave.gif We've now got a problem though... cuz with that question we got some serious thread drift goin' on... WE CAN'T HAVE THAT! Perhaps a Mod could move this thread to the Newbie Forum now? bigdrink.gif

Actually, "At a 39,000 foot cruise altitude, the cabin pressure is equivalent to 6,900 feet or pressure of 11.5 psi (about) 450 feet less than Mexico City. reference here

That wasn't the point, Aaron. The point was that was a smartass answer to an inane question from an obstensibly clueless person who supposedly is leading an expedition to an 8000m peak.

See olyclimber's post immediately following yours. That was the target for which I was aiming. Just good ol' down home smartass answers to a blatant troll of a thread.

That wasn't the point, Aaron. The point was that was a smartass answer to an inane question from an obstensibly clueless person

Thats what I was shooting for wink.gif

Aw right, 1 point for cleverness. But I didn't ask any questions... (although some would call me clueless...) smirk.gif

Frommers is a handy reference, thanx

3 weeks seems to be just enough time for acclimitization on Cho Oyu, taking into account training climbs will lead up to this. Might fly our group to Denver for a power weekend with 2 or 3 "altitude climbs" just before this. Suggestions welcome.

Acclimatizing between camps, anyone know if this would be an acceptable timetable for Cho Oyu?:

3000m-5200m, 7days, light exercise

5200m Base camp, 7 days

6200m A base camp, 4 cycles, 500mb w/o o2, 6days

6700m camp II, 3 cycles, 4days

7400m intermediate pt, 2cycles, 3days

8201m tippy top, 1hr, o2

(assuming decent Wx)

Please bring any real concerns on this timetable or other trip concerns forward.

If anyone is still interested in this 8000m climb, we still have a few spots left. Once again, no discrimination but experience level will be proven on a few climbs. thanx

Your plans sound solid to me 007. I like the trip to Denver too. My recommendation drive to Leadville (I think it is something like 10K feet) and just hang out and drink beer. You will get acclimatized in Leadville with no problem. Plan your trip on leaving from Denver and going straight to China/Nepal or whatever your choice of entry is. Just do what is natural to you. Don't listen to these other yahoos. They don't know anything about climbing 8000meter peaks....well I know Marek knows a little something. Follow your dreams, you can do it. BTW, do us a trip report too--we want to know how far you got.

3 weeks seems to be just enough time for acclimitization on Cho Oyu...

3000m-5200m, 7days, light exercise

5200m Base camp, 7 days

6200m A base camp, 4 cycles, 500mb w/o o2, 6days

6700m camp II, 3 cycles, 4days

7400m intermediate pt, 2cycles, 3days

8201m tippy top, 1hr, o2

(assuming decent Wx)

you may want to take a closer look at your timetable.

it is 3 weeks and 6 days

tippy top??? rolleyes.gif

Hey! I'll go. Let me know when we are leaving. I will promise to write the best trip report known to man. I have attitude and have climbed many of the cascade jewels! I don't have any money, but I can take the photo from the summit.

Gimme me a couple weeks notice before we go!

Stefan and Alpinefox thanx for your suggestions, your forgeting about the the combination of exercising while in ambient lower pressure. This conditioning will leave a person with altitude or acclimitization for a short period. (based on 14k weekends, usually only a week)

Does anyone know the phsiology on how long "altitude" will last in da body?

The training is taking place on the peaks of the Cascades and maybe on a few 14'ers in the Rockies. Going over to the Himilayas will undoubtedly be an adjustment, but a calculated one. As you can see, even low-land training makes this summit attainable.