8k trip buddies

007_dup1

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is the 8k meant to be quite inclusive? All the peaks you name are over 10k. Mebbe that would be a better group moniker...

Mountain Supply of Yakima used to have a group that they called the "Cascade 10 Plus Tour", and included 10 Cascade peaks over 10k feet. Included all the ones you mention, plus Jefferson, the Sisters, etc.

Not sure the power of a few great climbers is gonna get you up to 8K. Several hundred-thousand dollars, 20 porters, and oxygen, on the other hand...

This is a Guided trip for 15k here

Not sure where you got the hundreds of thousands... Cost without a guide??? Not sure. Affordable to some though

thanx for the responses, I need to clarify this post:

To find a few potential climbing partners for an 8000 meter trip. The peak to be determined.

This will be a planned expedition as a small capable group for Spring 2005. Prerequisite: all partners should have something to offer, there will be no discrimination and the interview will be a hike up to the top of Rainier or something.

I checked out many "Pay For Climb" companies and don't believe paying is necessary. It can't be that difficult!

Looking for partners that can:

Setup travel arrangements & lodging (in a place like Katmandu)

Can hire out Sherpas/local guide

Take care of climbing permits

offer group climbing equipment/tents

Oxygen

Purchase/import quantities of food for the climb

Radios for communication

You only have 1 life to live!

Please correspond privately

Why bring together a small group of climbers to tackle an 8000m peak?

What's really going on is people pay $65,000 to Mtn Madness and they get you up the summit you picked out of their brochure book. For example, they have local guides in Katmandu they contract out just like other rival companies. When these climbers get to an icefall, burkshard, or a hanging cornice they have the porters make it pass-able for them. How easy is that? The frick'in ropes are set up all the way up to the Hillary step on Mt Everest. These sherpas work for like $1/day so why woundn't you utilize them?

My whole thing is why the heck can't a person do this without paying out the nose? How hard is it to get a roundtrip ticket on Thai Airlines to Katmandu, lodging in Katmandu, hire a local climbing guide, hire some sherpas, rent the gear you couldn't bring, buy the food you weren't allowed to bring into the country, pay the park entrance fees, and climb any mountain for under $10,000! I am not buying into the "pay for climbing" pnenomena and claimed safety sales pitch these companies pretend to put on. Just look at the 1997 tradegy. ...no thank you. True expedition style is the way to go!

Still have a few spots left!

I checked out many "Pay For Climb" companies and don't believe paying is necessary. It can't be that difficult!

Looking for partners that can:

Setup travel arrangements & lodging (in a place like Katmandu)

Can hire out Sherpas/local guide

Take care of climbing permits

offer group climbing equipment/tents

Oxygen

Purchase/import quantities of food for the climb

Radios for communication

You only have 1 life to live!

Please correspond privately

Looking for guided expedition, not willing to pay. Expect premium services at budget price.

You could do everything listed yourself, but the possibility of you suceeding drops with each thing you take on...

if you want an 8000m peak it is far easier to get on a trip like this than it is to do it yourself. pretty inexpensive really, i guarantee nobody is getting rich. trip logistics are huge and will take up loads of your time (like a year or more). look at the note on the webpage they could just handle logistics for you (trust me this is a good idea).

Checked out this Australian company called "Field Touring". They might be cheaper than the rival american companies charging $65,000, but it is still the "Pay For Climbing" bushwa. So many companies are getting rich off of nothing. Who needs a freak'in helicopter guarantee for support?? The company sells the propective climber on linking them to 8k reality and the comfort factor but nothing really tangible. Anyone disagree?

It is also hilarious how the company has field staff and managers to take care of all your climbing arrangements. These locals get their cut out of the pie when they check you into their uncle's motel or get some "authentic guides"!

I say it will not be dificult to do what these companies are offering. Cheaper, easier and even without worries.

I just don't feel that it is that hard to make an 8k summit attempt with a team of a few good climbers. I mean sure it can take a year of planning and get pretty involved but it doesn't have to be! I have never done an 8000 meter peak, have you?

Going on other escapades around the world, I have learned a lot of times it is easier than what it is made out to be. Anyone agree?

Again, if anyone is interested in climbing an 8000m peak, please send a private message. Looking to form a small group of capable climbers. We will correspond on training, trip arrangements, and meeting our goal cheaply and effectively. Thank you.