Need Girly Harness Advice

BreezyD

I am about to buy my first rock harness and wanted to milk y'all of your harness opinions. I am looking for a women-specific model with fully adjstable leg loops.

Which have you tried and loved? tried and hated?

Any feedback appreciated. laugh.gif

B

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bd~

as with any harness the best thing to do is hang in it for a while. if it is really uncomfortable you will know right away. pretty much every climbing shop should have the ability to let you hang. that said, the next important things are the gear loops and whether they are in the right places for you, and whether you want a full strength loop for hauling a second rope. cheers

bDubyaH is correct. Hang, hang, hang. You will know. Look at all the harnesses too, don't limit yourself to womens specific. fiddle with the gear loops, ask the person selling it to you for some quickdraws to clip onto them, after hanging (or at least not just standing there), so you get a feel for where the loops are going to ride in real life. You'll find some are up front, some have the loops up, some have the loops down, etc...

And, yes, you will know right away if a harness is uncomfey. Sometimes is just needs a little adjustment, but personally, I'd shy away from anything that is painful smile.gif

I don't think I've ever owned a girl specific harness. The last piece of girl specific gear I owned (other than my shell bibs I think) was a pair of 5.10 shoes, long since vanished...

Saw an old-schooler at 38 last week leading with a bowline on a coil. Try hang-dogging on one of those and the old Whillans ball-buster special (and its reincarnation, the BD Alpine Bod) will seem luxurious.

Agree with others- try hanging in some. And...it's not a super-critical decision: If it fits and is reasonably comfortable, then it'll work. I'm still using the Petzl Jump I bought in 1996.

-L

the main difference between women's and men's harnesses is in the ratio of leg loop size to waist size, and in the distance between waist and leg loops (length of rear riser and the leg-loop to belay loop riser).

However not all companies use the same woman as their model for these ratios.

I have the BD Momentum and it worked fine for my first climb. However, my climbing instructor (a man) told me I was a size L (I'm 5'4 and about 125) and after getting out there, we found it pretty much hung off my hips when pulled tightest. I took it back and ended up with a small. I'll let you know how it works out tomorrow wink.gif If you buy at REI, you can exchange it if it doesn't work out. You'll need a belay device, locking carabiner, and a chalk bag as well. I got the 'kit' and it was a good deal...saved me about $30 if I had bought it all separately.

the main difference between women's and men's harnesses is in the ratio of leg loop size to waist size, and in the distance between waist and leg loops (length of rear riser and the leg-loop to belay loop riser).

However not all companies use the same woman as their model for these ratios.

Dru knows all. I have a Petzel that I love because I never have to dubble back laugh.gif but ti is only good for cragging it is not an alpine harness. so thinbk about your long term goals cool.gif

My girl found that the ArcTeryx alpine model (Verro??) was indeed the best fitting... not a girly harness, but it has adjustable leg loops, and it seems to have a fairly long rise. Also has excellent finishing, so no sharp bits that dig in or anything.

The real trick is to get the harness on in the store, and hang in it for a while. Any good shop will have somewhere set up to hang from. If they don't, well hellno3d.gif you probably don't wanna buy there anyways.

Otherwise... what Dru says. thumbs_up.gif

Good point about alpine... fancy padded, comfortable harness's are great if your going to be doing hanging belays, hangdogging, lot's of rappelling etc.... but if you just going to be humping up a glacier or moderate rock with a few vertical sections just go cheap and light, Alpine Bod has my money for that.

FYI.

I was desperate for a birthday present for my gf, so I got her a day of guided climbing with Anne Keller of the North Cascades Mountain Guides. Anne runs a series of programs targeted toward women called the Alpine Finishing School for Ladies.

The girls spent last Saturday climbing routes on Liberty Bell and having various discussions on climbing and other outdoor activities. My gf enjoyed the day thoroughly and learned alot.

FYI.

I was desperate for a birthday present for my gf, so I got her a day of guided climbing with Anne Keller of the North Cascades Mountain Guides. Anne runs a series of programs targeted toward women called the Alpine Finishing School for Ladies.

The girls spent last Saturday climbing routes on Liberty Bell and having various discussions on climbing and other outdoor activities. My gf enjoyed the day thoroughly and learned alot.

nice: http://www.ncmountainguides.com/women/women2.html

Each student will be provided with an understanding of the movement skills and rope handling required for efficient travel in the vertical world. Topics to be covered include: Equipment selections appropriate for the female physique, harness fitting and basic knots, terminology and communication, belaying, lowering, rappelling, movement skills, and most importantly, flattering hairstyles for use under a climbing helmet.