RobBob

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22.6 the_finger.gif

thing about BMI is if you are 6 feet tall and weigh 200 with a 5% body fat content, or if you are 6 feet tall, 200 lbs with a 35-40% body fat content, there are huge differences in your overall health but you have the same BMI. the only reason BMI is a useful statistic is because so few people are fit that you can assume most everyone with a high BMI is a fat sack o lard.

I am the fat kid...

Dru pretty much hit it on the head. I have a friend that works in public health (cardio-vascular studies) and she said about the same thing. The BMI does not work for athletes or for people who are very fit. It was created as a statistical tool for the masses.

The other thing about BMI is that it is very dependent on the size and density of ones bones. Your typical sturdy hardcore alpinist is unlikely to have a low BMI, because of the way they (we) are built. On the other hand, the hollow-boned competitive sport climbers typically have low relative bone mass and thus a much lower basal BMI. A much better barometer of your overall fitness is your percentage body fat....

5'10 and varires from 165-175 depending on the season. Higher if I am lifting regularly and lower if I am burning muscle on lots of long approaches and slogs. It was a wonderful day when I hit 178 and officially got myself into the overweight category - probably the best shape I've ever been in.

BMI is for losers.

So are Tanita body fat scales.

Get some $7 body fat calipers if you want some accurate indication of how you are in relation to an "ideal" body composition.

And go do some deadlifts suckas!!!!! pitty.gif