weekend suggestions

Stavrogin

i've got friday and saturday free and want to spend some time the hills. what are your favorite 4th class scrambles that don't involve glacier travel. also, i would like to camp one night, so something that i could make two nice easy days of would be good.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only class 3, but you could climb Mt. Maude (South side) and Seven Fingered Jack (SW side) as a somewhat strenuous two-day trip with a camp at Leroy Creek Cmpgrnd.

Sloan Peak (Corkscrew Rte).

Buckner (SW side). Takes you over Cascade Pass. cool.gif

Smoot's book "Climbing Washington's Mountains" has a lot of the easier routes (scrambles + hikes) to most of the prominent peaks in WA.

How about a non-technical, dog-friendly, hanging-out, laidback, sorta thing?

Backyard Plateau, Grade III

Approach: standard approach via kitchen. Traverse southeast to back door (Class 1; variation 1B includes shot of tequila: Class 2), step down onto deck. Follow deck south and descend onto flat boulder prior to topping out on plateau. Excellent bivvy site within easy reach of garden and water source. Total time: 2-5 minutes depending on fitness level.

Gear Notes: Backyard hammock, hookah, Laguvulin and bag of ice, stereo.

How about a non-technical, dog-friendly, hanging-out, laidback, sorta thing?

Backyard Plateau, Grade III

Approach: standard approach via kitchen. Traverse southeast to back door (Class 1; variation 1B includes shot of tequila: Class 2), step down onto deck. Follow deck south and descend onto flat boulder prior to topping out on plateau. Excellent bivvy site within easy reach of garden and water source. Total time: 2-5 minutes depending on fitness level.

Gear Notes: Backyard hammock, hookah, Laguvulin and bag of ice, stereo.

Right on!!! I'll post a TR after the weekend!!!

If you are in the Bellingham area, the West ridge of North Twin Sisters is highly recommended (many TR about this route on CC). The West ridge of South Twin is also very good, but has some low 5th near the top. Makes a very nice 2 day trip, camping in the basin between North and South...

hey stavrogin drive up to coquihalla pass and climb the north ridge of needle peak. one of the best 4th class scrambles out there. it's only a 1-day though, forget camping, drive home and do the w ridge of north twin sis the next day thumbs_up.gif

Hey Stav,

Dru is right!!! thumbs_up.gif north ridge of needle is wayyyy cool. easy approach. super exposure and no/few bugs right now.

i was just there sunday and did the bunny route with my daughter. the ridge is wide open. i will go do it with you this weekend as a day trip but i cannot go till friday night. (got an easy car camp spot too) PM if interested.

darn ! i tried to attach a digi picture but it is too large. i'm a newbie at attachments. cantfocus.gif can anyone help?

-the weasel

I had to take a moment to let you know that I am thrilled with your site and product lines. I am a first-time buyer and am thoroughly impressed. I only knew I wanted to start using glycolics and found your site very useful and informative. Purchased M.D. Forte starter kit and received it the next day. Couldn't believe what a great price I paid - perfectly packaged, too! Your phone staff was incredibly helpful, as well. Very professional and knowledgeable. Thanks again - I'm referring everyone I know!

http://www.authentic-strivectin.netfirms.com