NW Mountaineering Journal, Issue 1, Summer 2004

Lowell_Skoog

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll add my congratulations on a fabulous journal. It was a welcome change from the climbing and bc skiing magazines that show up in my mail box.

My only suggestion would be to be able to see larger images of more of the photos. Is there any reason why some you can and others you can't?

A print version of the journal is something we will continue to discuss, I'm sure. I've promised the Mountaineers History Committee that we will provide a paper copy of the journal to the Mountaineers Library, so there's not much risk that the information will be lost. Experiments on my printer at home seem to indicate that just printing out each article from my web browser should be good enough to satisfy their requirements.

As long as The Mountaineers remain a viable organization, they will maintain the information on their website, so the journal we have published there will survive.

The two top priorities in producing the NWMJ have been, in order:

1. Get something out there of good quality.

2. Develop a system to do it again and again.

The key to achieving these goals is to assemble a good team of volunteers and keep things simple. It would be really easy to succumb to the desire to create a fancy printed journal. But that would increase the likelihood that the team would burn out and publish nothing. A website is the simplest, cheapest way to go, so that's what we've done.

My only suggestion would be to be able to see larger images of more of the photos. Is there any reason why some you can and others you can't?

Enlargeable pictures is something that Steve Firebaugh (our team's web designer) added late in the project. We didn't consider this a requirement and Steve created enlargements for photos of his choosing. He already had a big workload, so we didn't ask him to create enlargements for everything. (I should also mention that Steve was our photo editor and consistently prodded the rest of us to find more and better photos. The finished look of the journal is mainly thanks to Steve.)

Sometimes it may be better to have a small tease than a large disappointment. As time permits I will add a few more enlargements, but those chosen first were most often due to having a sufficient quality digital file for the photo to warrant it. I love great photography and getting some of it was harder than you might think.

No-one has said a thing about the topos. Three are provided. One is provided as-is from the author. The other two I redid from scratch for a big increase in legibility and a vastly decreased file size (by a factor of 10). Was it worth the trouble for those 2? Tell me.

As a person who develops Web pages and applications for a living, I have to say this is one of the nicest Web sites I have seen. The simple layout and intuitive navigation really lets the content speak for itself. Kudos to everyone involved, really a fantastic job!

As a person who develops Web pages and applications for a living, I have to say this is one of the nicest Web sites I have seen. The simple layout and intuitive navigation really lets the content speak for itself. Kudos to everyone involved, really a fantastic job!

As a person who is completely inept and making any web page except for some basic text, I am even more impressed! wink.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...