Even more kautz info needed!

alexbaker

I need info from anybody who has been up the kautz lately. Mainly, is the approach chute at to the left of the Nisqually melted out? If it is how have you been gaining the slopes to high camp? Also, is there any water ice forming in the main chute that would make technical crampons and/or ice screws necessary? Any helpful info is appreciated, if it sounds favorable i am going to try to head up there this weekend. Thanks a bunch.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We approached via Comet Falls TH and Van Trump Park, a scenic and less crowded way to go. Getting to high camp was easy snow slogging to a collection of smallish sites (our three-man tent just fit) on the west side of the Turtle at 10200'. We involved ourselves in no glacier travel shenanigans to get to camp.

Rain and wind stopped our attempt Monday morning, but my partners stayed on for another go on Tuesday. So I dunno about conditions on the actual route. cry.gif

the chute you are referring to was not melted out as of 7-11-04, but the lower section was going fast. we used 2 ice screws in the main route chute for running belays. This may or may not seem necessary based on your comfort level as there are some smallish crevasses on the lower pitch.

374484-chute.jpg.46c38d46ba509c0d9b1ec71d50537cb3.jpg