bivy sack ok at camp muir?

Blakej

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can stay in the hut, all you need is a sleeping bag.

I would stay outside in a bivy sack at Muir with nice weather and a warm bag. Probably a 10 degree bag or less.

But, if you're just going to Muir, why not bring a tent? It's really not that far. Light pack or heavy pack, it takes 2-4 hours.

However, the true trick is to go with someone and make them carry the tent. hehehehe

Honestly, I can't remember the last time I carried a tent on a climb. smile.gif

Summertime at Muir; 20 degree bag in a bivy sack is just fine; much preferred to sooty water dripping off the ceiling in the hut.

I'm thinking that Mike needs to get his ranger-boys & girls in there to scrub all that stuff off the ceiling. After all, that's what we pay them for, right? Service. With a smile.

But Bill's right, if you're not going to climb, take a tent and luxuriate.

Nah, a stupid rookie move would be to leave your bag at home and just rely on your sleeping pad and puffy coat for bivy gear, leave from Paradise at 8:30p Friday night to meet your friends who went up the day before, realize at 2:30am that you are freezing your everlovin' butt off while "bivy'd" on the Muir snowfield and hike back down to the car.

I'm not admitting I did this, but let's just say that the weather looked great last Friday, and it seemed like a good idea to travel fast and light sans bag when a certain posterier primate left home.

- d u m b a s s m moon.gif n k e y

I don't even use tents anymore except maybe at camp 4 to store gear. Bivy sacks are way lighter, quicker to set up and take up less space.

You can climb 5.9 with a 12 oz. bivy sack but not with a 5 lbs. tent.

If a blizzard comes in then dig a snow hole. Your not going to sleep in a blizzard even in a tent, but a snow hole is quiet.

The only thing you have to get used to is the pikas and mountain rats running over your legs on summit bivies.

Hell, if Danny boy can get to the top in 2-1/2, then you sorry sacks of s%^& should be able to get to Muir in less than 4. tongue.gif

I'm thinking that Mike needs to get his ranger-boys & girls in there to scrub all that stuff off the ceiling. After all, that's what we pay them for, right? Service. With a smile.

I heard they are doing a major refit of the Muir Hut this summer. thumbs_up.gif