cams and nuts

james_e

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Singles in hand sizes in the best cams that you can afford. Double your coverage in hand sizes with hexes. Cover the rest with 1-2 sets of nuts, and add some tricams in the sizes between hands and fingers for a bonus.

I would get a set of Black Diamond or Wild Country nuts. I have used both and have not noticed a big difference, except the BD have a few smaller sizes that you will not likely use.

Consider getting Wild Country forged Friends in the hand and fist sizes. They are among the most durable and best built units out there, not to mention the lightest and least expensive.

What does everyone here have against robots??? They're cheap, light, have that handy extendable sling, and saved my sorry ass just fine. thumbs_up.gif

Also, as a person with small hands I find cams with a U-shaped stem that can be retracted with 1 finger easier to work with than the kind with a single stem.

If I had to rebuild my rack starting from scratch, I would get:

BD Camalots 0.5, 0.75, 1.0, 2.0, 3.0

Metolius big cams 9,10 or possibly forged friends (much lighter than camalots)

Metolius TCUs 0, 1.0, 2.0

WC Zero Cam Z2, Z3, Z4

Alien Cam Blue

1 set of WC stoppers (first choice)

1 set of BD stoppers (second choice)

Camp Tricam 0.5, 1.0

Maybe a couple of Loweballs

A few hexes in the wide fingers to wide hands size

I'd rack it all on Doval biners (lightweight, multifunctional)

Santa, are you reading this?

and you absolutely MUST get the BLACK DIAMOND nut tool. There is no substitute because only the BD has a built in beer opener.

bigdrink.gif

Heres a question. Considering most of us are broke SOB's what order would you suggest building your rack in order to devolop aleast a minimally useful rack for cheep ie one full set of chocks, hexes numbers (somthing through somthing) some tricams(maybe?) and so on?

Chances are that if you don't have a rack that you are a beginner. A full set of forged freinds and one sett of stoppers (they all work pretty good, mostly it is personal preference) will get you up most easy routes. When you have the money, get another full set of cams of your preference, I have a bunch of different kinds, including metolious, BD, wild country (forged and technical), and some old trango and spider cams and they all work pretty good.