Where can I sleep in car?

Drew_Jones

We're headed up to hike to muir on Saturday for training run, but we'll arrive at the park very late Friday night. Anyone know a good free spot outside the park where we can sleep in my van, or will I get busted? I know there are campgrounds nearby, but trying to save $$. grin.gif

Thanks,

Drew

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best bet for cheep is to go on into the park when you arrive at night that way you don't have to pay and then just sleep in the parking lot or trailhead of whereever your going. You not "supposed to," but if you're in a van or truck and don't appear to be camping, no one's gunna hassle you.

Once I car camped just outside the park... drove south then east on some road, and there were lots of riverside spots. In fact, we camped on a sandbar in the river. Looking at a map, it must have been along the Nisqually.

Take the very orthogonal road that heads across the Nisqually about 3.5 miles west of the entrance, then turn left.

Is it illegal to sleep in your car in the Paradise lot? If so why?

It's illegal to camp in any parking lot in any national park. Camp=Sleeping in Vehicle. You have to camp at a campground or in the backcountry with a wilderness permit.

Why? Because otherwise the Paradise lot would be filled with people living in their RV.

Also if you are parked somewhere early in the morning within the park boundaries, be prepared to be hassled by "the man". I've done drives down to enter early, then tilted the seat back to rest after the drive and been harassed multiple times by rangers looking for that sort of thing on the start of their work day.

Had I been in a sleeping bag demonstrating I had been there longer, they probably would have written a ticket. I'm pretty sure I have talked to folks that have gotten caught at Paradise before.

The guy in the Tetons was the worst. Waiting for the clouds to part to let some light through at sunrise, he was insisting that I couldn't sit in the car with my eyes shut, that I needed to keep staring at the scenery or keep driving. The common requirement of having law enforcement credentials brings out the "jerk" in some rangers who then are trying to put their ticket pads to use.

Also if you are parked somewhere early in the morning within the park boundaries, be prepared to be hassled by "the man". I've done drives down to enter early, then tilted the seat back to rest after the drive and been harassed multiple times by rangers looking for that sort of thing on the start of their work day.

Had I been in a sleeping bag demonstrating I had been there longer, they probably would have written a ticket. I'm pretty sure I have talked to folks that have gotten caught at Paradise before.

The guy in the Tetons was the worst. Waiting for the clouds to part to let some light through at sunrise, he was insisting that I couldn't sit in the car with my eyes shut, that I needed to keep staring at the scenery or keep driving. The common requirement of having law enforcement credentials brings out the "jerk" in some rangers who then are trying to put their ticket pads to use.

Huh? crazy.gif

• 2 weeks later...