How to store a tent

dryad

Please forgive this stupid question, but what is the best way to store a tent? Is keeping it stuffed really that bad? How about in a big laundry bag as you would with a sleeping bag? Would the advice be different if the tent was single wall vs. double wall?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is two schools, stuff or fold. If you stuff you get a bunch of creases in a random pattern that may hasten the demise of the tent material while a folded and rolled tent gets them in the same spot over and over. I keep my tents out on my exercise machine, since I don't use it much, and stuff it or roll it depending on space demands and time packing.

I have a tent manual on my desk that says:

"If possible fold and roll the tent rather than stuffing it into its sack. Rolling makes a smaller package, and causes fewer creases in the polyurethane coating. The tent and poles may be carried separately for easier packing or load sharing."

If it's in the manual it must be true rolleyes.gif

I have a tent manual on my desk that says:

"If possible fold and roll the tent rather than stuffing it into its sack. Rolling makes a smaller package, and causes fewer creases in the polyurethane coating. The tent and poles may be carried separately for easier packing or load sharing."

If it's in the manual it must be true rolleyes.gif

However, rolling/folding tends to stress the same points over and over. Stuffing is an equal opportunity destroyer.

I stuff all mine except the Biblers, which just don't stuff well.

YMMV

-L

• 2 weeks later...