Non-Dog Friendly Crags

I love to take my dog out with me when I'm sport climbing. He's a Border Collie and he gets a little hyper and barks a lot, but he's never really a problem. Last weekend some climbers at Vantage complained that he was knocking rocks down and told me not to have a dog at the crags. I don't really think it was a problem and i plan to take him always. [Roll Eyes]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you like me to knock rocks down on you?

And then inform you that its no big deal!

Bark at you or get get hyper while you try to send?

Maybe you would like me to rumage thru your pack while your up climbing? Help myself to what ever interests me...

Only losers bring their dogs to the crags.

What does that make you?

NIce troll putz boy

Smoker has some pretty good points. SOME dogs are cool at a crag like Vantage. IF they sit down , shut up and only wag their tail.

Yours doesn't seem to fit that description. Leave it at home or I will throw rocks at it the minute it annoys ANYONE!!! [Mad]

I would kick someones ass if they threw rocks down from above at a crag, your dog is no different....

I really like dogs, really.

I have allways had a dog, and I think there great, but I don't take mine climbing, and I don't care for dogs at the crags. If this is not a troll, you can take your dog but how you going to fell when something happens to it. And if it acts like you said something will happen. You will do as you want, but so will I.

This reminds me of a couple of women I saw climbing at Smith a couple of years ago. One of them had a dog, and while she was leading a climb, with her friend belaying, her dog was going nuts, constantly barking and, worse, jumping on the belayer. Numerous times I saw her take her brake hand off to push the dog away.

If the climber had cratered, I'm sure she would be one of the first to tell you: don't take your dog to the crags.

quote:

Originally posted by MF206er:

I love to take my dog out with me when I'm sport climbing. He's a Border Collie and he gets a little hyper and barks a lot, but he's never really a problem. Last weekend some climbers at Vantage complained that he was knocking rocks down and told me not to have a dog at the crags. I don't really think it was a problem and i plan to take him always.

Your dog is obviously a problem for the other climbers. Quit being selfish. Leave him at home.

I have dogs but don't take them to the crag.Dude did you come to climb or walk your #$%!en dog? [Confused] Or are you trying to pick up chicks with your lame ass mutt? [Roll Eyes]

I have friends that bring there dogs to the crag I don't like it but I put up with it .

It seems to be the group that,I don't want kids because of responsibility so I get a dog. [Wazzup]

My real problem is not with the dogs it's the idiot dog owners, [Moon] Leash it, don't let it run wild and knock rocks on fellow climbers, keep it out of dog fights, clean up its shit , keep it off my rope and out of my belay.

Why and @#$% should we have to deal with problems from your pouch

Your dog would not be that out of control black mutt named Vader that almost wiped us out with rock fall a few years ago would it [Mad]

[ 08-02-2002, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: richard noggin ]

my 2 mutts only come to the crags if someone is there to walk them around/play with them. as of late though, i wont' take them to a place like smith or any other crowded area due to user conflict

most times, the conflict arises from some dude whose dog just isn't friendly, and besides, alot of people don't like dogs.

i don't want to fuck up anybodys good time, so I just leave them at home to hump in the garage. besides, your pooch would much rather go for a hike, jump in a lake, and piss on a tree instead of pissing on someone's rope bag.

quote:

he gets a little hyper and barks a lot, but he's never really a problem.

Not a problem for YOU, but you have to consider that he is a problem to others that are out climbing! As a dog lover myself, I thought it ok as well to take my dogs to Vantage once- that was the first and LAST time I did that. [hell no] I will NEVER take them to a crowded area again. You have to respect others out trying to enjoy themselves and who left their dogs at home....

It sucks to leave them behind but I agree with Attitude:

quote:

Your dog is obviously a problem for the other climbers. Quit being selfish. Leave him at home.

DFA adopts the pro-good dog/anti-bad dog stance. Basically, if you have a dog that barks at anything unfamiliar, runs around, jumps on people, and steps all over their stuff (and doesn't understand "no!"), then perhaps the furry bastard ought best be left at home. If, however, your dog is well behaved, or better yet, totally sedate (not sedated--although that's not a bad idea; "here, boy! Time for your Ketamine!"), then by all means bring the beast.

Many dog owners don't seem to understand that many non-dog owners actually don't like it when dogs jump on them and slobber all over their stuff while sticking their nose in your pack looking for your bucket of KFC or your prized Clif Bar. They also don't seem to understand that listening to a barking dog is just as annoying as listening to someone else's boom box at the crag. Extremely obnoxious.

I'm sure most of these people would be pissed if you stepped on their rope and started licking their hands, and then busted out the ghetto blaster with your favorite death metal mix tape. But for some reason, we without dogs are expected to smile and enjoy the presence of ill-behaved canines.

So, please; next time you're thinking about bringing your untrained, unruly beast to the crags, think about how much you appreciate similar disturbances to your cragging experience, and arrange to leave the dog with your brother or something.

Love,

Dr. Flash "PSAs are part of the Doc's parole agreement" Amazing

The important thing to think about is the varying perspectives seen here.

Iceguy is annoyed that this dog is being playful (I would be annoyed too). But keep in mind, the dog owner loves that shit. The dog owner probably thinks he/she is just spreading the love around. The dog owner probably also thinks you are intolerant dickhead if you get annoyed by a wuvwy widdle poochy woochy giving you kisses.

It is a no-win situation. The only solution is the final solution. The dog owners will eventually get over it. Maybe they can get cats.

quote:

Originally posted by MF206er:

I love to take my dog out with me when I'm sport climbing. He's a Border Collie and he gets a little hyper and barks a lot, but he's never really a problem. Last weekend some climbers at Vantage complained that he was knocking rocks down and told me not to have a dog at the crags. I don't really think it was a problem and i plan to take him always.
[Roll Eyes]

There were climbers at Vantage last weekend? Just a little friendly advice: don't ever publicly admit to climbing at Vantage except in the middle of winter under the most dire of circumstances. The coulee is an overrated choss pile, it's not the dog's fault that rocks were falling down. Rocks fall.

quote:

Originally posted by richard noggin:

I have dogs but don't take them to the crag.Dude did you come to climb or walk your #$%!en dog?
[Confused]
Or are you trying to pick up chicks with your lame ass mutt?
[Roll Eyes]

I have friends that bring there dogs to the crag I don't like it but I put up with it .

It seems to be the group that,I don't want kids because of responsibility so I get a dog.
[Wazzup]

My real problem is not with the dogs it's the idiot dog owners,
[Moon]
Leash it, don't let it run wild and knock rocks on fellow climbers, keep it out of dog fights, clean up its shit , keep it off my rope and out of my belay.

Why and @#$% should we have to deal with problems from your pouch

Your dog would not be that out of control black mutt named Vader that almost wiped us out with rock fall a few years ago would it
[Mad]

I know of the black dog of which you speak named "vader". He pooped all over my sleeping bag .

I love dogs and used to bring mine to the crags but have come to the conclusion that no dog should ever go to the crags.

Funny story: I have a 12 pound pomeranian, cocker spaniel mix named "peanut". I brought her to smith once. I had her anchored by a #2RP with a 10 foot sling to the seam at the start of Heinous Cling. A big Rot cam by. Peanut shock loaded the RP more vigourously than any aid cleaning funkness device as she tried to kill the Rot. She literally caught air as she dove for the Rot. Miraculously, the RP held! The echo of the barks filled the entire canyon and was probably heard all the way to the parking lot. Eventually the cloud of dust settled.

We could all spray dog stories I bet.

And the sport climbers with the little whippets, or grayhounds is so cliche'.

Ask the owner of an aggro dog, and they'll say he's the sweetest leedle pooch almost all the time. Almost all the time being when they're cooped up in the bunker-like home of the barely-more-socialized owner. [Mad]

I'm the same way with my cat--he never hunts birds in the house, and I get confused when my neighbors complain about him batting around wounded baby house sparrows on their driveway. He's just not like that [Confused]

[ 08-02-2002, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: arlen ]

No one has mentioned the danger to the doggies... There have been more than one canine deaths at crags because the dog got too close to the edge, or what have you and tumbled off into the abyss.

Given, maybe it's only city slicker doggies that would be silly enough to play on the cliff, but then again, who is taking their dogs to the crags...

But seriously, canines, no matter how well trained, can be unpredictable. Who knows when that snafflehound that that they've seen a million times before is suddenly going to interest them, and they jump out and string their leash across the trail tripping a whole party of mounties out doing their basic rock class, slip off the edge, and hang their silly doggy self... Of course you nor your partner can do anything because you're half way up a route, hangdoggin'...

I have a friend who has been taking his dog to the crags for the past 10 years or so. She's mellow, just hangs out, but then sometimes, if he's not sending a 5.13 or something, she gets bored and wanders off (hey, wait, that sounds like some climbing bettys I've seen at the crags). Nothing like finishing off your fine day of climbing looking for a dog...

I have a dog. We go hiking when I have time off, and running around Greenlake when I don't. Despite her delightful personality, I wouldn't take her to the crags...

(Allison: She's gotten much better... )

Chill out anti-dog crowd. Who said the crag is for humans only? Don't get me wrong, unsociable dogs should not be left unattended at the crag. However, the world is full of dogs that are mellow, loving and cool with new people. Climbers just need to make better decisions on what they are bringing to a publically shared place.

My mutt Butch, is an attraction at the crag. People are drawn to him. He just kicks back, gives you that I'm adorable look, and waits for passerbys to get him a Butchy snack. Butch is a positive experience to whoever meets him at the crag.