Tunnel at Index Lower Walls??

willbeclimbin

does anyone know anything about the odd tunnel in "the country" area at the index lower town walls? (the one with the white bricks and old metal white door). Ive known about it for awhile, but never really inspected it until earlier today. I put my ear up to the door and heard a buzzing noise, somewhat like that of an air conditioning unit. I thought that to be a bit strange, since i expected that it was long-abandoned. if anyone can quench my curiosity about the mystery tunnel, please do so!

fruit.gif

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The moorlocks might have been Index local girls out for a evening stroll.... scary enough thou....

I have been into the tunnel, it was drilled to test the "Chunnel" drilling equipment.

There is a Quansit hut inside, the test equipment in inside that.

Edited by lancegranite

thanks for the feedback guys. being a physics major, i can certainly say that that couldnt possibly be a site for a neutrino detector, although the morlocks could have invented a new method of detection, using chopped bolts and mangled hangers to reflect the gamma radiation from the sun. or something like that. it looked like something savage drilled that hole though. i wouldnt want to meet the chunnel digger in a dark alley in belltown. peace and thanks.

hmmmm, maybe they were doing something else... like the fifth force? i really don't remember -- it's been about a year since I bumped into them. and my physics knowledge is primarily mechanics and optics. but they've got to be taking advantage of the immense amount of dense rock surrounding them.

1) No, it was not used to test the chunnel equipment. It was drilled first in 1983, then again in 1986, and a final time that I do not remember, to test some new technology by the Robbins Co. Robbins did supply drill equipment to the Chunnel, but not these drills. At the most, these drills were smaller prototypes.

The UW uses the tunnel to detect particles much smaller that neutrinos.

much smaller than neutrinos? i dont mean to get into a physics discussion on a climbing forum...but i not so sure that it would be possible to detect any smaller particles without a gigantic tank of water buried several miles underground. plus, smaller particles (ie: bosons, fermions, muons, and gluons) are just as easily created, detected, and studied in a laboratory. sorry about that just had to be an asshole and set things straight.

much smaller than neutrinos? i dont mean to get into a physics discussion on a climbing forum...but i not so sure that it would be possible to detect any smaller particles without a gigantic tank of water buried several miles underground. plus, smaller particles (ie: bosons, fermions, muons, and gluons) are just as easily created, detected, and studied in a laboratory. sorry about that just had to be an asshole and set things straight.

ahhhh...Sudbury laugh.gif are we talking minute explosions and gravitational fields here? or you got other ideas? mushsmile.gif

Point of clarification...

The Robbins Co of Kent WA has tested its prototype TBM's locally for many, many years...ie Tunnel Boring Machines that include pre-slotting the rock working face with high-pressure water jets [per Flow Industries' technology...and many other features]. Some features are indirect spin-offs from the local aerospace industry.

Yes, some UG tunnels in the Cascades have been used for research in the past. A new particle physics research proposal can be viewed at:

http://www.mocha.phys.washington.edu/NUSEL/

I heard it was something about testing the gravitational forces that that huge amount of rock actually causes. I can find out more... know a physics grad student who told me about it once. Me being a non-physics person I just said "cool!" and kept driving. smile.gif