Rainier conditions late season

gohawks

I'd like to climb Rainier on a basic route in late August. Anybody have general or specific feedback on conditions this time of year? What is/are the preferable route(s) at this time? DC? Emmons?

Otherwise, which Cascade volcano(es) is/are best in late August, in terms of conditions and hazards?

Thanks

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I did the DC route the last weekend in September of last year. Rockfall made the cleaver... interesting. It's definitely doable, just watch for rocks. The crevasses were huge and some of the bridges were a bit dicey. Be sure to get strong people on your rope, and you should have no prob.

I would guess that the Emmons is the better late season route (I have been on it in August). just because i perfer climbing up snow/ice rather then chossy rock.

The Emmons is truely amazing late season, huge holes! It may make for more navigating around them, but they are so cool, no doubt.

I've been up the DC in early October. Things were pretty opened up and rockfall on the cleaver is definately a concern (a microwave size block crossed our rope team at he toe on the way down) but it was altogether pretty straightforward. RMI leads climbs up the DC through the middle of October so it can't be that bad.